Annual communication day to take place Wednesday

Mark Shanahan, Staff Reporter

The department of communication studies will be hosting their annual Communication Day starting at 9:15 a.m. Wednesday in Coleman Hall.

The event happens every spring but it is usually at the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union.

Faculty and students will be conducting various panels and presentations throughout the day. Topics will include internships, job networking, pop culture and political discourse, new majors and minors and more.

The event is free and open to the public.

Luke Kligis, a junior communication studies major, has attended Communication Day in the past.

“Communication Day is a great way for not only communication majors, but for all of EIU to see the opportunities that the communication department has to offer,” he said. “From panels like our internship panel, to even our panel on conspiracy theories and communication, it’s a great way to see what communication can do for you.”

The department has over 400 undergraduate students and 30 graduate students and it is the second largest program in the state of Illinois.

The day will begin in the Coleman Auditorium with Communication Day kickoff from 9:15 a.m. to 9:45 a.m. Following that will be five events people can go to from 10 a.m. to 10:50 a.m. These events will include information about studying abroad, interviewing, jobs in radio, advertising and the public relations major and communication and cultural diversity minor.

The next events are from 11 a.m. to 11:50 a.m. and will cover the topics of internships, the honors program, using social media proactively and preparing for a job interview in public relations. From noon to 1 p.m. there will be a lunch break before the afternoon panels start.

From 1 p.m. to 1:50 p.m. the panels will be on using a communication studies degree to get a career in sports, quick tips for writing in American Psychological Association citation and format style, an introduction to the new health communication major and a conspiracy theory workshop. The final round of panels will be from 2 p.m. to 2:50 p.m. These panels will be on tips and tricks for using Adobe Illustrator, job opportunities at WEIU-TV, how to make a demo reel and a workshop on crisis communication.

The concluding events will be from 3 p.m. to 3:50 p.m. in the Coleman Auditorium and there will be free prizes and T-shirt giveaways. The speech team also invited the public to come at 6:30 p.m. to the Coleman Auditorium for a Speech Team Showcase.

Mark Shanahan can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]