NACWC presents annual superwoman service toiletry drive

Datasia Lenton, Staff Reporter

Students will once again have the opportunity to support the “Superwomen” in their lives through the donation of personal hygiene products.

Eastern’s National Association of Colored Women’s Clubs, the Women Improving Lives chapter, will be hosting their annual “Superwoman Service” toiletry drive Wednesday in Coleman Hall from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.

The club has previously held events this week geared toward women’s history month, including Women Honoring Women, where the organization informed students on facts about women’s history month as well as inspirational quotes by women for women.

Maya Pitts, president of NACWC, said the organization wanted to help women who were in situations where they were not able to help themselves by providing the necessities that women need on a daily basis.

“Everyone isn’t as privileged as us and sometimes we have to give a helping hand,” Pitts said. “There are different ways for us to do service so this is one of the ways that we can stress the importance.”

Angela Davis, the first vice president of NACWC, said the organization stands for improving the lives of minorities, men, women, and children. She also said that giving back and helping those in need are very important to the organization.

“I believe that all organizations who have an impact on campus should be doing community service,” Davis said.

Like other service events produced by the club, the toiletry drive is a way for the students to play a role in giving back to the community of Charleston.

“Sometimes the student participation can get better, but it’s great just to see people actually out helping,” Pitts said. “In my opinion, everybody in any area can increase their service or awareness.”

Davis said she was pleased with the amount of service currently present on Eastern’s campus, but there could always be more. Women are a part of the club’s priorities, so it is important that the organization continues to give back to them as much as possible, Davis said.

“The more that students participate, the more that we can gather to give back,” Davis said. “It solely depends on the campus itself.”

Unlike other events the club has held on campus, “Superwoman Service” is geared toward giving back something that is sometimes overlooked and seen as small, Pitts mentioned.

“It’s geared toward something we think that everyone has (toiletries), but everyone really doesn’t have,” Pitts said. “Something that is so basic and so much of a necessity.”

With the “Superwoman Service” being an annual event, last year’s toiletry drive took place for more than one day. The organization hopes that the event will be just as successful as the previous year’s.

“I believe that we had a good turnout last year,” Davis said. “We will more than likely give the items to HOPE, the domestic violence center here in Charleston.”

With Pitts being a senior at Eastern, she said she hopes the club will continue the toiletry drive well after she has graduated.

“I really do hope that it continues because it’s something that we’ve all really enjoyed doing just to give back,” Pitts said.

This Friday from noon to 3 p.m. the club and the African Student Association will also be hosting a collaboration car wash at Auto Zone.

Datasia Lenton can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]