Women’s golf team takes 13th in Saluki Invitational

The Eastern women’s golf team opened its spring season at the Saluki Invitational Sunday and Monday.

The Panthers came in 13th place in the 15-team field. Eastern finished with a team score of +119 in the two days. Indiana-Purdue University Indianapolis took home first place honors with a combined team score of +34.

IUPUI took the team title by beating William Woods College in a two-hole play off.

Eastern finished in front of Rend Lake Community College and John A. Logan Community College who posted scores of +130 and +140, respectively.

Junior Madison Burget was the Panthers’ top golfer overall in the two days finishing with a combined score of 170. Burget fired a +12, 84 in the first round and a +14, 86 in the second round.

She finished and tied for 59th.

Sophomore Anne Bahr was just one stroke behind Burget in both rounds firing an 85 in the first round and an 87 in the second. Bahr finished tied for 65th for the playing field.

Junior Chloe Wong posted the lowest round score for the Panthers with an 83 in the first round but struggled to find her shot in the second round shooting an +18, 90. She finished with a final score of 173.

Wong finished in a tie of 68th for the entire playing field.

Junior Alexandra Pickens finished with a two-day score of 180 after shooting a 91 in the first round and an 89 in the second. Pickens’ final score of 180 placed her in 74th.

Freshman Katlyn Hasprey, in her first spring match of her career fired scores of 98 and 90 totaling a final score of 188 for the two days. Hasprey came in 82nd overall.

Jessica Cathey of Austin Peay won individual medalist honors with a score of 144 including a -2, 70 on Monday. Cathey fired a 74 on Sunday with her two scores giving her an even par finish for the invitational.

Another notable score came from Celia Mansour of William Woods who turned an even par score of 72 in the second round. Brenna Lervick of South Dakota also turned a score under par with a 71 in the first round of action. Lervick turned in a final score of 146. She also came in second place for the entire invitational.

Alison Gorman shot a 71 on the first day as well. She finished with a final score of 152 for the two days.

Eastern will head to the Indiana-Purdue University Fort Wayne Invite this weekend with just one match remaining before the Ohio Valley Conference Championship.

Eastern will kick things off Sunday with the first round and finish up on Monday. The Panthers will be playing at the Pine Valley Country Club in Fort Wayne, Ind.

Going back to the fall, Eastern has not been able to crack the top 10 in any of the tournaments they have played in.

Sean Hastings can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]