Track and field teams head outdoors

Mark Shanahan, Staff Reporter

The Eastern men and women’s track and field teams will begin the outdoor season at Southern Illinois-Carbondale.

Last season at the annual meet, the Panthers had 13 first-place finishes and the men and women each finished second in team scoring. Sophomore Nyjah Lane had the lone individual first place for the women’s squad in the 100-meter dash with her time of 12.13.

Lane was also the anchor on the first place 4×100 relay team that had a time of 47.13 seconds. Senior Angelica Anyaogu, senior Briana Walker and junior Anita Saffa joined Lane on that relay team.

The women’s 4×400 relay team also captured first place at this meet last year with a time of 3:54.69. The team consisted of seniors Amina Jackson, Kristen Paris, Amy Yeoman and Dhiaa Dean.

In the women’s field events, teammates Haleigh Knapp and Jackie Jones tied for second in the high jump both clearing 5’05.” Anyaogu finished second in the long jump with a leap of 17’3.50.” Second-place finishers on the track were Walker in the 100-meter dash and junior Ivy Handley in the steeplechase with a time of 11:35.04.

For the men, the 4×100 relay team finished first with a time of 40.76. The team included junior Johnathan Boey, senior Calvin Edwards, junior Jamal Robinson and senior Christian Ilunga-Matthiesen. Edwards finished second in the 200-meter dash with a time of 21.60.

Red-shirt senior Joe Calio won the men’s steeplechase with a time of 9:17.22. Junior Kendall Williams also had a second-place finish in the long jump clearing 22’01.”

Paxson Menard ran in the 1500-meter for the men last year at this meet and finished fourth with a time of 4:00.51 seconds. He will prepare the same as he did last year for this weekend’s race.

“I have run in the past at this meet. For my preparation, it is usually the same,” he said. “I will just stay calm, relaxed and positive. The only thing that would change would be my view of the weather. If it’s windy, then I will prepare to draft off other runners to conserve energy.”

Menard will be running in the 1500-meter run this weekend, but he plans on taking on other events later on in the season.

“This weekend I will run the 1500. The other events I will be racing in will be a few 5Ks for this outdoor season,” he said. “The goal for conference is the 5K and 10K.”

The meet will begin on Saturday morning with the field events at 9 a.m. followed by the track events beginning at 12:30 p.m.

Mark Shanahan can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]