Eastern softball completes sweep over Skyhawks.

Senior Kylie Bennett had struggled all weekend before the sixth inning of the final game of the series. Bennett was 0-8 going into her ninth at bat of the weekend when she drove in senior Katie Watson to give the Panthers a 3-2 lead.

Eastern ended up winning the game by a score of 3-2 to complete the three-game sweep of the Tennessee-Martin Skyhawks. The win also improves Eastern’s Ohio Valley Conference record to 3-0.

The Skyhawks got on the board in the first inning of a single by Katie Warrick, but a two-run homerun by freshman second baseman Jennifer Ames in the bottom of the second inning gave the Panthers a 2-1 lead.

The lead would not last long as Tennessee-Martin tied it up in the top of the third inning. Lauren Myers drove in Carly Gonzales on a double to left center field.

Freshman Kayla Bear was the designated hitter and leadoff hitter for the Panthers and led the way going 2-3 in the game.

Before Watson got on base in the sixth inning, the Panthers had not had a base runner since the third inning. Bennett handled the rest giving the Panthers the OVC win.

Sophomore pitcher Jessica Wireman got the win for the Panthers. Wireman pitched all seven innings giving two runs on eight hits. She struck out eight in the game.

Wireman remains perfect in OVC play with a 3-0 record. She earned both wins in Saturday’s games.

Sean Hastings can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]