Softball swept at Coach B Classic

Despite heavy involvement from the Panthers in the first three of the four games they played this weekend, the Eastern softball team lost all four games at the Southern Illinois Coach B Classic over the weekend.

Eastern took on Kansas to start the weekend and quickly jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the first inning off a two-run homerun by senior designated hitter Kylie Bennett.

That was all the scoring the Panthers would make in the game as the Jayhawks went on to score three unanswered runs, winning game one of the doubleheader 3-2.

The top five hitters in the Panthers’ line up, each got one hit. Freshman leftfielder and lead-off hitter Kayla Bear got two its. She was 2-3 in the game.

Sophomore pitcher Jessica Wireman took the loss. Wireman went six innings, giving up three earned runs and striking out four.

Bennett got the scoring started in the second game of the doubleheader against Southern Illinois Carbondale on Saturday with another homerun.

Later in the inning, freshman Mady Poulter grounded out to the second baseman but brought in sophomore Taylor Monahan to make the score 2-0 at the end of the second.
Southern would then take the lead in the third inning 3-2, but another homerun by Bennett would get game tied back up.

A big four-run sixth inning by the Salukis proved to be the difference in the game as the Panthers would fall by a score of 8-6.

Bennett would add one more RBI to her total and Poulter would drive in senior outfielder Jennette Isaac later in the sixth.

Sophomore pitcher Michelle Rogers took the loss pitching 5.2 innings and allowing four earned runs.

The Panthers once again could not hold on to an early lead with Butler, losing 2-1.

Freshman second baseman Jennifer Ames got the lone RBI for the Panthers. Ames got two of the three hits for the Panthers. Ames singled down the left field line and drove in Bear in the bottom of the fourth.

But in the top of the fifth, Butler would tack on two runs in one play with a double to left center field.

Wireman took another tough loss on the mound pitching 4.1 innings and allowing just one earned run and one unearned. She struck out five batters in her outing.

Rogers came in for the final 2.2 innings and shut down the Bulldogs, allowing just one hit.

The final game of the weekend was a rematch with the Jayhawks that was not as close as the first time around. Bennett, however, continued to be a strong contributor to the Panthers, driving in the lone run in the first inning.

Rogers took the loss on the mound for the Panthers allowing six runs in three innings on the mound.

The loss drops Rogers’ record to 1-3 on the year. Wireman’s record is currently 3-12.

Overall the Panthers’ record is 4-15 for this season. Eastern has not played any Ohio Valley Conference games yet, so these losses do not hurt their overall conference record or standing.

The Panthers will have a Wednesday afternoon doubleheader this week at Evansville.

Sean Hastings can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]