Habitat for Humanity has first art exhibition

Abbey Whittington, Entertainment Editor

Habitat for Humanity is taking submissions on Tuesday between 2 to 6 p.m. for its art show from 6 to 8 p.m. at the Student Gallery in the Doudna Fine Arts Center Wednesday.

Submissions are open to Charleston high schoolers, Eastern students and members of the community for a fee of $5. The artwork can be 2D, 3D or graphic design pieces. Each artist can submit up to three pieces.

The $5 submission fee will go toward Habitat for Humanity, which is a service group whose goal is to build houses and communities, as well as eliminating inadequate housing and raising awareness about the need for affordable housing around the world.

The Coles County Habitat for Humanity partners with Eastern’s service group to help each other in their efforts in ending low-income housing for the community.

Kristen Beneke, co-fundraising chair and senior art major, said she is charge of creating fundraising events to make money for Habitat for Humanity, and she wanted to do something new and fresh that the club does not normally do.

“An art show is always a really cool event to have,” Beneke said. “People seem to really enjoy art shows.”

Beneke said there is not a theme for the art show; just that the artists submit a work they are proud of.  The artwork must be in “good condition.” This means the art cannot have any rips or tears if they are not purposeful or a mark such as a footprint if it does not belong in the work.

“If anybody has a piece that they just think ‘man I really just want to show this piece off’ then that’s exactly what we are looking for to be in our show,” Beneke said.

The awards will be presented at 7:15 p.m. on Wednesday along with food and drinks. These will be merit awards including Best Graphic Design Piece, Best 2D Piece, Best 3D Piece and Public’s Favorite.

For the Public’s Favorite award, the audience will write down their favorite piece, and after counting the votes, the award will be presented at the end of the show to the artist with the most votes.

“I think the art show will raise awareness in different areas where Habitat for Humanity doesn’t normally get their name out,” Beneke said. “It’s a different segment of the college campus that we want to target.”

Abbey Whittington can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]