UB hosts 2nd annual “You Got Game?” video game night

Abbey Whittington, Entertainment Editor

The University Board will be having their 2nd annual “You Got Game?” video game night at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday in the Grand Ballroom of the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union.

Aaliyah Stephen, the UB special events coordinator and communication studies major, said she initially came up with the idea to bring different cultures together to have fun.

Stephen organized the game night.

“Everyone knows how to and can play video games,” Stephen said. “(This game night) will bring people together to have a good time.”

There will be four counsels used for the game night. These counsels are the Game Cube, XBOX One, Nintendo 64 and Wii.

“Mortal Kombat” and “Mario Kart” are two of the many games that will be played on Wednesday.

Students will be able to duel as characters from the Nintendo video game company such as Princess Peach, Mario, Luigi, Donkey Kong, Toad, Toadette, Yoshi, Birdo, Wario, Waluigi, or one of Warner Bros. companies’ many “Mortal Kombat” characters like Scorpion, Sub Zero, or Kitana.

While the gameplay will be highly competitive, the event will not be crowning any one player as video game champion.

There will also be prizes given out during the game night, however they will not be given out based on a competition, but by a raffle.

Anyone who attends the game night will have their name entered into the raffle, and their name will be drawn to win a gift card.

The UB will provide free hot wings, and there is no fee to take part in playing the games.

Some other events the University Board has coming up are the “Eastern’s Got Talent” auditions taking place 7 p.m. Tuesday and Wednesday in the 7th Street Underground of the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union, an open mic night at 7 p.m. on Thursday, and a free stand-up comedy show with Nathan Macintosh at 7 p.m. on Friday.

The movie “Daddy’s Home” will also be showing at 7 p.m. on Friday in the Buzzard auditorium.

For more information about the open mic night and the auditions students can contact main stage coordinator Patrick Davis.

In addition to the auditions, the UB will be taking submissions for the upcoming Artistry Film Festival at 6 p.m. April 9 in the university ballroom. To submit work people interested can contact English major Hillary Fuller. Submissions are due March 28.

Abbey Whittington can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]