Wellington International Ukulele Orchestra to perform

Wellington International Ukulele Orchestra from New Zealand will be performing in the Dvorak Convert Hall of the Doudna Fine Arts Center at 7:30 p.m. March 2.

Sumitted Photo

Abbey Whittington, Entertainment Editor

The Wellington International Ukulele Orchestra will be performing at 7:30 p.m. in Doudna Fine Arts Center’s Dvorak concert hall on March 2.

Wellington Orchestra plays the “ukulelefied” versions of songs from many genres along with music from the South pacific.

For example, some rock and pop artists whose songs they will be performing include Justin Timberlake, Dolly Parton, and Cyndi Lauper.

To match the quirks of the group’s performance, each member of the band wears a bright, animated outfit.

The musical group is also very big on involving the audience in their performances.

According to a press release, the band’s number one rule is, “If you know the words, sing along. If you don’t know the words, sing along.”

The theatrical group is from New Zealand and was founded when member Age Pryer came together with his friend Bret McKenzie of comedy band Flight of the Conchords, and performed in their local café, Deluxe.

Months after performing in the café, McKenzie and Pryer’s musical circle grew into a regular morning ukulele jam session with friends, thus creating the Wellington Ukulele Orchestra.

These sessions in the Deluxe café were filmed and directed by Tim Capper for the group’s music video “It’s a Heartache”.

The complete band is  Pryer, McKenzie, Andy Morley-Hall, Bek Coogan, Carmel Russell, Daniel Yeabsley, Francs Salole, Gemma Gracewood, Megan Hosking, Nigel Collins, Sam Auger, and Stephen Jessup.

All of the members have experience with the ukulele, however, Russell, Salole, and Jessup are vocalists and Yeabsley is a bassist.

McKenzie is a drummer, keyboardist, ukulele player, singer, songwriter, scriptwriter, producer, actor, and engineer.

He performs with the group but his schedule does not always guarantee his attendance at every show.

So far, the orchestra has toured the U.S., China, Japan, United Kingdom, and headlined major arts festivals across New Zealand and Australia.

Members of the group will be teaching a master ukulele class on March 1 in addition to having their performance the next day.

The master-class will take place in the Mattoon Train Depot’s Lone Elm Room with a fee of $15. Those who do not have their own ukulele can rent one for an additional $5 fee.

The seating for the class is limited but students can register for the class by calling the Mattoon Arts Council at 258-6286.

Tickets for the concert are $20 and can be purchased online or at the Doudna Fine Arts Center Box Office.

Abbey Whittington can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]