Student Senate committees to give reports, updates

Analicia Haynes, Administration Editor

Student senators and executive members will announce their committee and executive reports during the Student Senate meeting at 7 p.m. Wednesday in the Tuscola-Arcola Room of the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union.

Maralea Negron, the student speaker of the senate, said in an email to senators there will not be much to discuss at the meeting besides the committee and executive reports.

Chris Pickard, the student chair for the university enhancement committee, said he will discuss upcoming goals at the meeting.

“Right now we’re looking at seeing if there’s interest in a bike share system,” Pickard said. “It’s a company called Zagster and we’re going to have an outreach table to see if students have an interest in it.”

According to the company’s website, Zagster provides campuses, businesses and communities with an easy-to-use bike sharing system that would help meet the university’s goals of providing efficient and convenient transit.

Pickard said it is a really cool program and the committee will set up an outreach table to survey the students and see if there would be a desire to bike on campus.

Pickard said this is the committee’s first step but they are still looking at other factors that could evolve from the program if students show interest.

“We’re still looking at things like where you can take the bike, who can have access to them, how many bikes to get, different things like that,” Pickard said.

Pickard said they are also trying to decide whether or not it would be too much of a hassle to get the bike and then go to class and figuring out where the bikes will be located on campus.

“I like the idea and if it can be implemented well it would give people the ability to use bikes and not bring them from home,” Pickard said. “They don’t have to worry about carting them back and forth.”

Pickard said the company will provide the bikes, and there will be a rental process for students.

However, he said there are options to make it free, it just depend on how the bikes will be paid for in the first place.

“Eastern is fairly small so biking would be fun,” Pickard said. “It’s definitely a way to go green.”

Pickard said he will pass around a sign-up sheet at the meeting for people to volunteer to work the out-reach table.

Students can take the survey from noon to 3 p.m. on March 3 outside of the Food Court in the Union.

Pickard said his committee has been working with Pride and looking at implementing gender-neutral bathrooms on campus, specifically in the classroom buildings and Union.

“We felt there weren’t any there,” Pickard said. “They are on campus but we want to make sure they are everywhere on campus.”

Pickard said they are looking at plans to convert some areas but are waiting for funds to come in to implement those plans.

Analicia Haynes can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].