Swimmers wrap up day two with new EIU top 10’s

Senior Kaylee Morris had the Eastern school record in the 50-yard freestyle heading into the Summit League Championships, and that record was broken by none other than, Kaylee Morris.

Morris’ previous record time was 23.81, but her time 23.47 will stand as the new Eastern record.

Coach Jacqueline Michalski said it was exciting for Morris to go out by setting a record in her final year.

Eastern had six total swimmers crack the top 10 for Eastern history. The Panthers posted times in seven different events in the finals at night.

Senior Joann Wakefield joined Morris in the top 15 in the 50-yard freestyle in the finals. Morris finished in eighth place with a time of 23.86, and Wakefield tied for 14th with a time of 24.53. Wakefield’s time earned her a spot in the top 10 in Eastern history.

Senior Kelsey Ferguson was just .02 seconds shy of setting the Eastern record for the 200-yard individual medley. She finished in 14th with a time of 2:09.26. She holds the second fastest time for the women in Eastern history.

Senior Fallyn Schwake also moved herself into the top 10 with a time of 5:14.45 in the 500-yard freestyle. Her time was good enough for sixth in Eastern history.

For the men, seniors Jake Roberts and Kyle Ruckert finished just two spots from each other in the 500-yard freestyle. Roberts’ time of 4:42.34 was good enough for 14th place. Ruckert finished in 16th with a time of 4:47.48. In the preliminaries, Ruckert earned a new personal best in the event.

Sophomore Stephen Truchon finished in 15th with his time of 21.17 in the 50-yard freestyle. But his time of 21.10 in the preliminaries was good enough for seventh best in Eastern history.

Sophomore Steve Fishman was not able to qualify to return for the finals Thursday night in the 50-yard freestyle, but his time of 21.20 in the preliminaries secured his spot in eighth all-time in Eastern history.

The night started with the 200-yard freestyle relay which featured a fifth place finish for the women. The relay team of freshman Martee Grainger, sophomore Dani DiMatteo, Wakefield and Morris finished with a time of 1:36.69.

“We’re dropping extreme amounts of time,” Michalski said. “That’s really what the goal has been. I know it’s hard with not bringing as many people back (for the finals) as we would like to, but we’ve had some great successes and people dropping extreme amounts of time and blowing past their expectations which is exciting to watch.”

Eastern followed up a strong day one with another one on day two. The men and women both currently sit in sixth place after the first two days. Day three of the Summit League Championships will get under way Friday morning with the preliminary session at 10 a.m. The finals will begin at 5 p.m.

The day will begin with the 400-yard medley relay and the 400-yard individual medley. The 100-yard butterfly will follow, with 200-yard freestyle happening right after. The events will conclude with the 100-yard breaststroke and 100-yard backstroke.

Sean Hastings can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]