Softball set for five games this weekend

The Eastern softball team will play five more games this weekend after winning three out of five last weekend to open the 2016 season. All games the Panthers have played and will play until March 16. will be non-conference.

The Panthers earned a pair wins against Indiana-Purdue University Indianapolis, and North Dakota.

Eastern will travel to the Troy Classic in Alabama this weekend to take on McNeese State, Troy and Ole Miss.

Last weekend, sophomore pitcher Jessica Wireman threw two complete game shutouts and struck out 30 batters in 28.1 innings pitched. She came out of the weekend with a 3.18 earned run average.

Wireman and sophomore Michelle Rogers, as they usual are, will be the probable pitchers for the five games.

Ole Miss is the big name school in the tournament this weekend, and had a 4-1 start to their season. The Rebels played in Honolulu Hawaii last weekend.

The Panthers had contributions from top to bottom last weekend with senior shortstop Katie Watson who batted .500 in the games. Freshman Kayla Bear hit .333 for the Panthers last weekend. Senior Kylie Bennett was the team’s main run producer driving in three runs.

Eastern will get things started on Friday with McNeese State and Troy at 12 p.m. and 5 p.m. The Panthers will take on the Rebels of Ole Miss Saturday at 9:30 a.m., and McNeese State again at 1 p.m. They will wrap things up on Sunday with another game against Ole Miss starting at 12 p.m.

Sean Hastings can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]