Fire leaves house uninhabitable


Dominic Baima

A member of the Charleston Fire Department uses an axe to vent the roof while responding to a fire at 1015 4th Street on Friday.

Cassie Buchman, Associate News Editor

Charleston firefighters were called for a structure fire at 12:26 p.m. Friday on 1015 4th St., leaving the house uninhabitable.

The Red Cross got a hotel for the nine people who lived in the house where they could then make other housing arrangements.

The fire started because of an accidental cooking fire.

Assistant Fire Chief Steve Bennett said there was heavy smoke coming from the building when they got there.

The people at the house during the fire had already evacuated when the fire department arrived.

There are no injuries, but extensive damage inside the house, mostly from the kitchen.

After an investigation, Bennett said the kitchen was gutted and there was quite a bit of smoke and water damage.

Bennett said there would have to be extensive repairs done to the house before it would be habitable again.

Mattoon Firefighters were also present at the scene.

Cassie Buchman can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]