Column: Sean Says: Be smart in certain situations

So lemme tell you this. Golf is a great game, but it can also be pretty dangerous and painful if you’re not smart when you’re on the course. I know from experience.

I’ve been playing golf since I was as young as I can remember.

I always go out golfing with my dad and my brother, more so when we were younger.

But like I said, golf can be a dangerous game if you are not smart while you are out there. You can hurt yourself or somebody else. In my case both parties were involved.

So let me finally start telling you why my day on the golf course turned out to be a painful one.

I was 13 years old and my younger brother Ryan was 11.

All our life, Ryan and I have always loved goofing around and having fun.

Some of the time we have known when to keep it relaxed, but most of the time we just like to have fun.

So we were coming up on the ninth hole with the 10th hole’s fairway running along the left side of our fairway.

There was also a family on the 10th fairway.

The hole that we were on had a huge hill in the middle blocking the view of the green.

So to help out the golfers there is periscope to help see over the hill and see the green.

So this thing came in handy to see the green, but it was also another way for Ryan and I to goof around.

First off, I want to say we’re not some punk golfers that just ruin everyone’s day. We are serious about the game.

But Ryan and I had the great idea to toss a golf ball up in the air in front of the periscope to see if we could see it fly by.

I volunteered to look through the eyehole to try and see the ball, trusting Ryan to throw the ball right in front of it.

Now you may be wondering what my dad was doing and why he allowed us to try this.

Don’t blame him; I don’t think he thought there was any chance that his two sons could screw this move up.

As you can probably expect, the ball did not go right in front of the pole like we tried, but it went over the side and hit me in the top of the head, making me a little bit dizzy.

So I’m in a decent amount of pain, but I still have to tee off.

Remember that family that was coming down the 10th fairway?

So I think I’m good enough to shoot, so I tee off and send this ball no more than 3 feet off the ground right past the mother and daughter playing their shot, and underneath the cart which was holding the father and the son. I almost just took out a family.

So the moral of the story is, be smart when you are golfing. Or just be smart in certain situations.

You can get yourself or others hurt if you are not, and I hope your weekend is better than mine.

Sean Hastings is a sophomore journalism major. He can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].