Column: Sean Says: Too much confidence can kill you

So lemme tell you this, I’m single, and I have been for a long time. But not too long ago, all of that changed…almost.

So I was sitting in Thomas Dining Hall eating my burger, and I look up and a pretty cute girl is looking my way from a few tables over. So immediately I think this girl is checking me out.

I didn’t want to jump to conclusions too quickly, but every time I looked up, I would catch her looking towards me.

So I start thinking that this is going to be the end of my single life, and I have finally found some girl that was checking me out. I keep telling my friend, “hey I think that girl keeps looking at me.”

Him being my friend and a guy starts telling me what to do, and he even starts getting a little hyped.

What made this whole situation kind of ironic is that I kind of eyed this girl a little bit when I came into the dining hall, so I’m feeling pretty confident at this point in the afternoon.

I keep eating, still not wanting to jump to the conclusion that it is me she is looking at. I would look up and she would still be looking towards me and she would kind of softly say things to her friends.

At that point I think I’ve got this in the bag and all I have to do is make a move. I start talking it over with my friend on how to approach this situation without it being too awkward.

Before I ramble too far, all of this has been going on for about 10 to 15 minutes. So it’s been a decent amount of time, and it doesn’t take too long to eat, so either her or I might have to leave soon.

Once again, I kind of look up and she is still looking towards me, but this time she looked away. The telltale sign you are looking at somebody and don’t want to get caught looking. But that is the most obvious way to get caught.

Now I am done eating and my focus has turned to the girl who has been looking towards me the whole time we have been eating. Back to the point I made about me looking at her when I came in, so this is perfect for me.

So at this point I am on top of the world, and I can do anything. I am the king, confidence is through the roof, and I tell myself I am off the market and have found a girl. In my mind this is going to work out at this point.

But then it dawns upon me where I have been sitting. I am sitting right in front of a T.V. playing a music video. I finally realize that she has been watching the videos the whole time and not me.

Now I am back to where I started before I came into that dining hall. Thanks a lot MTV.

Moral of the story: don’t be too confident, it can kill ya, and I hope your weekend is better than mine.

Sean Hastings is a sophomore journalism major. He can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].