Resource Center hosts Saturday fitness workshops

Abbey Whittington, Staff Reporter

Only 21 days into 2016, students with New Year’s resolutions to either create a healthier diet, change workout routines or to simply do new things can take advantage of the “EIU Moves” workshops.

Although, the new year has already started its not too far into the year to make a new you.

For the next four Saturdays: Jan. 23, Jan. 30, Feb. 6, and Feb. 13, the Health Education Resource Center (HERC) will be holding nutrition workshops from 10 to 11:30 a.m. at the Rec Center in room 2710.

The first workshop will mainly discuss nutrition while the other three will focus more on fitness activities.

The other workshops will have a 20 minute nutrition workshop, and the rest of the time is for the workout.

The first workshop focuses on general nutrition information along with a group workout activity.

During the second workshop there will be a nutrition workshop on beverage choices and hydration, the third workshop will be over pre-workout snacks, and the final one over the power of proteins.

The other fitness activities include the HITT (High Intensity Interval Training) boot camp, strength fusion, yoga, and barre with a different instructor for each section.

Barre is a new edition to the classes offered by HERC and focuses on flexibility and toning using a ballet barre.

Each workout is different and increases with intensity after each workshop.

The EIU Moves is an annual campaign to remind students to stay active and eat healthy, and this year is different because they’re using workshops instead of the previous walking route idea.

The Nutrition Promotion Coordinator, Caroline Weber said that this year HERC wanted to incorporate the Rec Center more because it gives students an opportunity to attend a free fitness classes on a day they aren’t normally offered.

“My goal is to spread the word and to get people active,” Weber said. ” I want to inspire someone who’s trying to be more active to continue.”

Weber said it’s important to be active at least 5 days a week for 30 minutes and that the Rec Center is a great resource for students to have.

“I just hope people have fun while being active because it will make them more likely to stay active.” said Weber.

Abbey Whittington can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].