Miss Black and Gold Contestants to shed layers of themselves

Torri Griffith, Staff Reporter

Dressed in shades of gold and white, 10 ladies are ready to compete in the Miss Black and Gold Pageant hosted by the men of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity.

The theme of the pageant is “Deception of The Golden Throne, Masquerade Heirs”.

The event will be held in the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union Grand Ballroom on Saturday at 6 p.m. The doors to the event will open at 5 p.m.

Angela Davis, a senior Africana studies major and contestant number four at the event, said this pageant allowed her to find herself.

Davis said before she joined this pageant, she was in a stage in her life where she felt many different emotions, ranging from angry to nonchalant to bitter. She said the pageant allowed her to find herself again, while learning many things about herself.

Melanie Dyer, a senior communication studies major and contestant number six, said she has always wanted to participate in Miss Black and Gold, but she has never taken the initiative to do so before now.

“I always told myself before I leave EIU I want to make my mark here on campus,” Dyer said.

Dyer said she does not want to look back on this and regret not taking this opportunity.

Farrah Dean, a junior biological studies major and contestant number two, said this is her chance to build communication skills, and a way to be efficient and confident.

“This pageant serves as a chance for me to believe in myself,” Dean said.

Davis said she was nervous about opening up about her life and who she is to a large crowd.

“I had to let out emotion that I have hidden, I had to really be vulnerable and open, and that was my biggest challenge,” said Davis.

Dyer said she wants every girl to perform at her best.

“I want everybody to leave themselves on the stage” Dyer said.

Each girl expressed different reasons for them being nervous to compete in this contest. They said stepping out of their comfort zones was something the girls struggled with as well.

“I used to be insecure in the way that I communicated with people. I did not want to come off as dumb or anything so I would never say much,” Dean said.

Dean said she now speaks with confidence in everything she does, whether it’s presenting something in class or introducing herself to someone.

Davis said confidence is the key to being successful in this pageant.

“You have to believe in yourself if you want others to believe in you too,” Dyer said.

Through this pageant Davis said she was able to build poise and confidence.

“This pageant helps you find out more about yourself than you ever knew about,” Davis said.

Dyer said she was able to show her creativity through her participation. She said she was also able to show her strength.

“I have learned that I am an amazing and phenomenal woman through participating in this pageant,” Dean said.

Gaining pageant sisters what the main thing that the ladies were excited about.

“I learned that I couldn’t always be the leader in everything that I do. Sometimes I have to sit in the back and work well with others,” Davis

Davis said her pageant sisters are what helped this journey easier for her.

“You create a bond with your pageant sisters” Dyer said. “You learn their personalities and their strong points as well”.

Dyer said this pageant helps people work on every aspect of yourself that you want to improve as an individual.

The women agreed the men of Alpha Phi Alpha were a great help with assisting them as well.

The arrival of the fraternity made the event more fun, the contestants said. The men of Alpha Phi Alpha helped them in several different ways while prepping for the show.

“When the Alphas came to practice, they eased the tension” Davis said. “They made us feel more comfortable.”

The girls expressed how they were all humbled to be apart of the pageant, and they wish all of their pageant sisters the best of luck.

“As long as you believe in yourself, you will be able to do anything you put your mind to,” Dean said

The tickets for the pageant are $7 in advance, and will be $10 at the door. Students can purchase a ticket from any member of Alpha Phi Alpha on campus.

Torri Griffith can be reached at 581-2812 [email protected]