Track and field teams finish strong

Mark Shanahan, Staff Reporter

Men and women’s track and field continued their success as the men finished the Illini Classic in second place overall and the women finished in third.

The men finished the meet with one first place finish and four-second place finishes for Eastern. The women had three first and second place finishes. Senior Amy Yeoman continued her early season success as she earned her second straight first place finish in the 800-meter run. Yeoman improved her season-best time in the event with a time of 2:14.63 seconds.

Junior Bryn Buckwalter had the longest shot put in the meet with a put of 45’10.75”. She had a second best mark in the weight throw with a distance of 48’03.25”.

Senior Janie Howse also competed in the weight throw and shot put with teammate Buckwalter. She had the best finish in the weight throw with a throw of 53’07.25” and the second best mark in the shot put at 42’09.50”.

Senior Amina Jackson had the second-best time in the 600-meter run with a time of 1:37.40 seconds. The women’s team finished the Illini Classic in third place overall with 85 points. The home team, Illinois, took first place in the women’s division with 142 points. Western Michigan finished in second place with 109 points.

Northern Illinois came in fourth place, while St. Louis, Bradley, Loyola, Butler and Northwestern rounded out the final standings for the women.

For the men, freshman Ashton Wilson had the best finish for them with his height of 6’05.50 in the high jump. Junior John Piper had a time of 8.40 seconds in the 60-meter hurdles, which earned him a second place finish. Senior Calvin Edwards had the second fastest time in the men’s 200-meter dash with a time of 22.11 seconds.

The men also earned second place finish in the pole vault and the long jump. Senior Eric Gordon had a finishing height of 14’01.25” in the pole vault. Sophomore Davion McManis had a distance of 22’07.00” in the long jump.

The Panthers finished the meet second overall with a total score of 98 points. Illinois also took first place for the men with a total of 185 points. St. Louis finished the Illini Classic in third as Loyola, Bradley and Butler finished out the standings.

The men and women’s teams return home next Saturday as they host the EIU John Craft Invite at the Lantz Fieldhouse.

Mark Shanahan can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]