Column: Where did all this hate for snow come from?

I feel like I am one of the only students on campus who still loves winter and snow.

I always wonder when some of these people started to just hate winter because I’m sure five years ago they loved it.

Sometimes I get the feeling that people say they hate winter, just to say it and be “that guy” who just gets angry when the temperature dips into the 30s and snow starts to fall.

When you think about it, we have it pretty good here with the “worst” weather phenomenon being snow.

There are places in the U.S. where it is warm year round, but those states might have to worry about other things such as hurricanes and earthquakes.

Of course I love the summer seasons too, but I think we should just appreciate the fact that we get to experience four different seasons a year. I just don’t understand why people hate winter.

When we were kids, we all loved when the snow came. All kids loved building snowmen, sledding, snowball fights and the ultimate reward of school maybe getting canceled.

When did the students who “hate” winter and snow get away from that. Yes, we all can drive now and driving in the snow is not fun, but if you hate driving in the snow that much, just have someone else drive.

I’m 20 years old and once we get near winter break, I am praying we get tons of snow and the fact that we did not this year was pretty disappointing.

Even last year at 19, I went sledding. I guess I’m just not growing up as fast as you “adults.”

I think the only time it is acceptable to say you don’t like snow is when you are married and much older.

Even at that age you’ll see still parents playing out in the snow with their kids. And all these “tough” teenagers and 20-year-olds hate the snow.

I almost moved to Florida when I was really young and looking back at that I am glad I didn’t. I don’t think living in constantly high temperatures would be as much fun. I think it would just kind of get old.

For me growing up, and now even in college, the summer is meant for baseball and basketball, the fall is for playing football, and the winter is still for playing football and also pond hockey. Living in Florida, you’re not going to get the chance to do some of that.

The one day that we did get snow over break, you better believe my friends and I all got together to play a big game of football in the snow like a bunch of kids.

I think some of these people should just cool it with all of the negative comments about the snow and just appreciate it while you can still have some fun.

Sean Hastings is a sophomore journalism major. He can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].