Greek organizations prepare for spring recruitment

Chris Picazo, Opinions Editor

It may be the end of the fall semester, but the recruitment process for fraternities is already beginning to take shape for the upcoming spring semester.

The process may be different among the different fraternities on campus, and Hugo Escobar, recruitment chair for the Phi Kappa Theta fraternity, said the process was to meet new brothers and friends to share the college experience with.

While the official process of recruitment begins next semester, Escobar said recruitment was more of an ongoing movement.

“I like to see recruitment as never ending and as an ongoing process that requires dedication,” Escobar said. “The recruitment/rush rules here at EIU may have deadlines to turn in bids and what not, but I believe that deadlines shouldn’t be a reason to stop making new friends and meeting new people.”

Escobar said when it comes to spring recruitment, it is better to start early to allow more time to modify any changes to a schedule over the winter break to be ready by the time the new semester starts.

Cameron Greenebaum, sophomore communication studies major and member of Sigma Nu fraternity, said the recruitment process for fraternities is something that usually takes place earlier in the semester.

Greenebaum said recruitment is talked about throughout the semester, but the actual planning process does not begin until the beginning of the semester.

He also said the most difficult part of the entire process is the emphasis that is placed on recruitment.

“There is a lot of pressure on us because this is the future of our house,” Greenebaum said. “At the same time it is a lot of fun because I love meeting people, and I love talking. At the same time, it is stressful.”

Even with the pressure, Greenebaum said the most memorable part of a fraternity is going through the recruitment process.

Escobar said that recruitment is a difficult process, but the outcome is a rewarding one.

“I find it satisfying all on its own to have such a responsibility bestowed upon myself and being held accountable for recruiting new members that I can one day call my brothers is an amazing feeling,” Escobar said. “Recruitment is the bloodline to every fraternity, and I feel honored to know that I play such a vital role in that process for my fraternity.”

What makes the process difficult is attempting to influence new students to join a certain fraternity on campus or even making students think about joining Greek life, Escobar said.

Escobar said joining Greek life was one of his “most satisfying accomplishments,” giving him certain opportunities to prepare for life after graduation, and he encourages students to take part in the recruitment for next semester.

“The opportunities at leadership that I have been granted with here because of the connections I have made through joining a fraternity are only setting me up with essential skills for success after I graduate,” Escobar said. “Don’t let the negative stereotypes of Greek life influence you, because there is so much more to being a fraternity man than what the media makes it out to be.”

Chris Picazo can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]