Feast to kick off the week of finals

Lynnsey Veach, Staff Reporter

Students who are interested in taking a break from studying can attend a feast before their week of finals at the Thomas Dining Center on Sunday at 8 p.m.

The Finals Feast that has been hosted at Thomas Hall for over 10 years will have a variety of meal options for students to choose from.

Mark Hudson, the director of university housing & dining services, said the annual Finals Feast has been hosted in the same format for 10 years, and they have decided to change it up this holiday season.

Hudson said off campus residents and faculty are also invited to the Finals Feast.

From 8 p.m. to 1 a.m., students can eat the standard late night pizza and salad bar that is usually served at Thomas Dining, featuring Bonici Brothers Pizza and Pasta.

From 9 p.m. until 11 p.m., Thomas Dining will also serve a “build your own nacho bar.”

“Our goal has always been to give students a little something special as they head into finals,” Hudson said. “This will be a little more low key, but we hope residents will appreciate getting something a little extra at this stressful time of the year.”

Hudson said that students can use a swipe to access the meal or pay with cash if they do not have a meal plan, which will cost $9.10. Students that are on meal plans and are out of swipes will be given free access to the Finals Feast.

Patrick Muhne, a sophomore kinesiology and sports studies major, said he attended the Finals Feast during his freshman year and recommends all students to attend since it was an enjoyable time.

“I enjoyed the food a lot, plus eating with your friends is always fun,” Muhne said. “I think you can give yourself a little bit of a break from studying to eat.”

Brian Gorman, the assistant director of the Student Success Center said students should intensify their study efforts by starting to study at least a week prior to finals so they are able to take breaks of relaxation prior to their tests.

“It is important to have a healthy, balanced diet to give you energy and avoid the distraction of hunger,” Gorman said.

Caroline Weber, the nutrition promotion coordinator at the Health Education Resource Center said she encourages students to make sure to eat healthy during finals week since that can help reduce stress and also prevent illnesses, which we are vulnerable to when stressed.

“(Finals Feast) will also give students a chance to take a break and enjoy a meal with friends, which is also very important,” Weber said.

Lynnsey Veach can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]