Student Senate to have emergency meeting

Sydney Edwards, Copy Editor

The Student Senate will hold an emergency meeting Wednesday night in order to take a vote on the budget, say their goodbyes and recognize someone for their service.

Maralea Negron, the Student Senate Speaker, said the most important item on the agenda and what most of the meeting’s time will be spent on is the voting of the budget.

The budget is decided as a part of the apportionment board, which is when the senators will decide what student groups on campus will receive money.

Last week in the Student Senate meeting, the following groups asked for money for their budget: the Student Recreation Center, the University Board and student government.

The recreation center asked for money to pay for new software, a new machine and a replacement rower; in total, they were asking for $18,349.

The UB asked for money to pay for an event they want to host entitled “Pantherstock,” and in total, $16,000.

The student government asked for money to fund the “It’s on US” campaign, “Prowling with the Prez” events and a new software program called OrgSync.

The student government asked for a total of $24,086 which included $20,000 for OrgSync.

The total amount of money that the Student Senate has to give out is $75,000.

Another aspect of the meeting will be the presentation of Senate Resolution 15-16-02, which focuses on honoring Rachel Fisher, director of community service. Fisher will be leaving her position at Eastern at the end of the semester.

The senators are planning on honoring her founding the student community service office.

After the senators are done discussing Fisher, other members will be presented with paper plate awards.

The paper plate awards are a biannual award that will be given out to members that have been nominated by other senators that have been honored.

Negron said there are one senior, two juniors and two freshman that will be saying their goodbyes at the meeting.

This will be the last meeting of the semester.

Sydney Edwards can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]