House decoration entries to be judged Wednesday

Mackenzie Freund, City Editor

For about fifteen years, the community has decorated their houses for the Spirit of the Holidays house-decorating contest.

This year, 12 residents have entered their houses in the contest so they can compete for the available prizes.

Kaylie Pruett, recreation supervisor for the Charleston Parks and Recreation department, said the prizes were donated by businesses and range from small coupons to larger coupons, like dinner for two at a restaurant.

“We like to keep our prizes under wraps until we find out who the winners are, that way it is a surprise for them as well,” Pruett said. “Our competitors also compete for bragging rights in their neighborhoods.”

Pruett said prizes have always been offered to the winners of the contest.

The houses are judged based on five categories.

These categories are lighting, creativity, cohesiveness, technical, and spirit.

Pruett said the houses are scored out of 50 points and the houses with the best scores are the winners.

“The best lit houses or the most unique houses will generally bring in higher scores,” Pruett said.

The 12 houses that were entered into the contest created 3 divisions based on their location.

Each division will have a first, second, and third place winner, Pruett said.

Pruett said there is no set theme that needs to be followed when the residents enter their houses into the contest other than it has to be holiday related.

“We like to have unique houses that light up the town,” Pruett said.

Pruett said the judges tend to look at the way the house is decorated so they can understand what the resident was trying to do while decorating before they begin judging in their categories.

The judges can be anybody from the Charleston community.

This year, the judges are members of the Charleston community, as well as some Eastern students.

“We like to bring in people that are excited about the holidays and will enjoy what they are judging.” Pruett said.

Registration for the contest itself ended on 5 p.m Dec. 5th but judging is set to begin at 6 p.m. and end around 9 p.m. on Wednesday, Dec. 10th.

Pruett said the parks and recreation department would love to see more entries when the contest comes around next winter.

Mackenzie Freund can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].