Chili Social to bring campus together before finals

Kevin Kroll, Staff Reporter

Students will be able to enjoy a hot bowl of chili this winter season during the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People’s Chili social.

The NAACP organization will be hosting their second annual chili social event. Their first chili event was held in January. The chili social event will be held at 4 p.m. Wednesday in the culture center on 600 Lincoln Ave.

The event is open to anyone.

Moniesha Curry, the President of the NAACP said she likes the Chili Social because the event gives people a chance to socialize and see new faces.

“It’s all about getting to know people and stepping out of your comfort zone,” Curry said. “So it’s good to see different types of people come and have fun and socialize and just relax and be themselves.”

Curry joined the NAACP organization in 2012.

The following year, she became treasurer of the organization and now this year she is the president.

The price of admission is $1 and Curry said everyone gets to hang out and get a bowl of the NAACP’s homemade chili.

The money made from the chili social fundraiser will go towards Image Awards expenses.

The NAACP Image Awards is an event celebrating the outstanding achievements and performances of minority students in the arts and it is set to happen spring semester.

There will also be other things going on other than eating chili.

Curry said the organization would provide games and music at the social. She said there would be different card games going on and possibly games like Taboo or Scategories.

Gregory Hayes, the vice president of the NAACP, said the event is a good way to relax before finals week.

“We do this event because we know that finals week can stress you out,” Hayes said. “So we just try to come up with events that will relax everybody and get their minds off of the books for a little while.”

Hayes said this event is a great way to get people interested in the NAACP organization and that it is a great way to bring people together.

Curry said her favorite part about the social is seeing people come out and enjoy the chili. This is the last social of the semester.

Kevin Kroll can be reached 581-2812 or [email protected]