Eastern swim teams fall to Saint Louis, set records

The Eastern men’s and women’s swim teams did not win Friday against Saint Louis, but had 10 swimmers see season-best times drop, preparing them for the conference meet in February.

The men fell to Saint Louis, 198-64, and the women fell by a score of 169-92.

Even though both teams lost, the low times they posted had coach Jacqueline Michalski happy with how things went especially against a tough team like Saint Louis.

“The fact that we were able to get a few top place finishes (Friday) and kind of be really close to some of their swimmers was really exciting to see,” Michalski said.

Senior Kaylee Morris won both the women’s 50-yard and 100-yard freestyle with times of 24.44 and 53.95. Morris’ time of 24.44 in the 50-yard freestyle was a new personal best time.

Fellow senior Joann Wakefield also recorded a personal best time in the women’s 50-yard breaststroke with a time of 31.49, a race in which she won. Wakefield also took first place in the women’s 100-yard breaststroke with a time of 1:09.02.

Freshman Lauren Oostman also grabbed a first place finish in the women’s 100-yard backstroke with a time of 1:00.59. Oostman also received second place honors in the women’s 500-yard freestyle relay with a time of 5:31.48, an event in which she has been looking to improve in. Her time of 5:31.48 was good enough for her personal season best.

Another freshman, Martee Grainger set a personal best in the women’s 200-yard freestyle with a time of 2:01.28.

Junior Paige Eavenson also set a personal best mark in the women’s 100-yard freestyle with a time of 58.54.

Sophomore Renae Johnson set a personal high in the women’s 50-yard butterfly with a time of 29.45. Sophomore Niki Beringer was the final woman to set a new personal best recording a time of 30.62 in the 50-yard backstroke.

The men also had a pair of swimmers earn personal best times against Saint Louis Friday night.

Junior Shane Witzki finished the men’s 50-yard freestyle with a time of 22.03, which was good enough for third place. The other swimmer from the men’s team to earn a personal best was sophomore Patrick Wood. Wood finished the men’s 100-yard butterfly with a time of 56.82 giving him third place honors.

Also posting a strong time was the relay team of sophomores Steve Fishman, Matt Jacobs, Stephen Truchon and Wood. The group finished in second place in the 200-yard medley relay with a time of 1:37.70.

Brandon Robbins had two second place finishes in the 200-yard freestyle and 50-yard backstroke. Robbins posted a time of 1:49.90 in the 200-freestyle and 27.49.

Despite not getting the win they were hoping for, Eastern kept each of the events close which assistant coach Meghan Cotugno liked to see.

“I think a lot of them were surprising and very close,” Cotugno said. “I think that was the most exciting part is actually having some hand-to-hand finishes where you’re really saying ‘who actually won.’”

Sean Hastings can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]