Women’s basketball hunts to end losing streak

Josh Saxton

Junior forward Erica Brown goes up for a layup in Tuesday’s game against Loyola-Chicago in Lantz Arena. Brown contributed 15 points 2 blocks 1 assist and 1 steal.

Elias Albert, Staff Reporter

The Eastern women’s basketball team will try to end their two-game losing streak as they travel to 0-2 Indiana State Thursday.

Eastern will enter the game at 1-2, fresh off an 86-75 overtime loss to Loyola-Chicago on Tuesday.

In the game, Eastern was able to come back from an 11-point deficit and even take a lead during the second half. Despite that, they came up short when the game was on the line.

Coach Debbie Black said she liked what she saw from her group even though they didn’t end up with the result they wanted.

“They fought hard to keep themselves in it,” Black said. “We didn’t play our best when we needed to, but we did give ourselves a chance.”

During that game, Eastern was led in scoring by senior guard Shakita Cox who recorded 18 points.

Senior guard Alece Shumpert and junior forward Erica Brown each posted 15 points.

Sophomore guard Grace Lennox has been held to 11 points in the last two games after posting 19 in the season-opening win.

Black said she’d like to see more out of Lennox but she’s happy with the effort Lennox has shown.

“She has given us a lot of big plays,” Black said. “I would just like to see more of that out of her.”

Black said she liked the way that her team rebounded the ball, as they outrebounded Loyola-Chicago 41-35.

Black said her team has done well on the boards all season long and she expects more of the same.

“I think the team that gets outrebounded usually loses,” Black said. “I am pleasantly pleased with how we have done in our rebounding this year. It is the reason why we have been in these games.”

Eastern outrebounded Indiana Purdue University-Indianapolis 44-43 and was outrebounded by a small margin against Memphis.

The game at Indiana State will be the fourth game in the last week for Eastern.

Black said she likes playing with short gaps in between games, contrary to the idea that it takes a toll on player conditioning.

“I prefer playing in games over practicing,” Black said. “In the postseason, you end up playing games every other day, so it is important that we get used to this if we hope to win.”

Black also said she likes the way that her team tends to stays out of foul trouble and manages to force offensive fouls.

“I tell them that I would like to see aggressiveness without fouling,” Black said. “I believe that when you are in shape, as we are, you don not foul.”

Indiana State has averaged 66 points per game and has allowed 79 points per game this season.

They are led by senior guard Cierra Ceazer who has averaged 16 points and 4.5 rebounds per game. Right behind her, junior guard Joyea Marshall has posted 15.5 points and eight rebounds per game.

Eastern’s numbers are similar with 67 points scored and 79 points allowed, per game.

Eastern and Indiana State will tip off at 6 p.m. Thursday in Terre Haute, Ind.

Elias Albert can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected]