Three earn All-Summit league honors for men’s soccer

Mark Shanahan, Staff Reporter

Freshman forward Trevor Kerns has three goals out of six shots on goal during his first season with the Panthers.

The Summit League awarded sophomore goalkeeper Mike Novotny and newcomers freshman midfielder Brendan McDonough and freshman forward Trevor Kerns with end of the season accolades.

The three Eastern players were named to the end of the year all-league teams that are voted on by the Summit League coaches.

Novotny was named to the All-League Second team while teammates Kerns and McDonough were named to the All-Newcomer team.

He had a productive season for Eastern as he ended up with 75 saves and a five saves-per-game average, which placed him at eighth in the NCAA for goalkeepers.

Novotny said he felt good about being recognized as one of the best goalkeepers in the conference.

“It is a good feeling,” Novotny said. “There were a lot of top keepers in our conference this year that had very impressive numbers. It is an honor to be put up there with them.”

He ranked second in the Summit League for total saves and saves per game. Novotny’s career-high came against an undefeated Denver team where he made 12 saves while holding them to just one goal.

He credited his defensive for helping him achieve this honor.

“Definitely the defense in front of me,” Novotny said. “They came up big at some key moments this year. Made my job a little easier.”

Kerns provided some of the offense for the young Eastern team, as he scored three goals, all coming against Summit League opponents. He tied for fourth in the conference in goals scored during conference play.

Kerns scored the game-winning goal in Eastern’s only conference win this year against IUPUI. He finished the season with two assists and ten shots.

McDonough was a consistent player throughout the year as he was one of six players on the team to play in all 17 matches of the season. He started 14 of the 17 games and recorded four shots.

McDonough weighed in on how it felt to be recognized as one of the top newcomers in the league.

“It is definitely a good feeling,” McDonough said. “I am truly honored to have been named to the all newcomer team.”

He also talked about what having three players honored means for the team moving forward.

“I think that it shows that as a program we are growing in a positive direction,” McDonough said. “We aren’t dwelling on past seasons or performances, but instead have our minds set on the future and the development of our program. Having three players honored just proves that we are on the path to success.”

Eastern hopes to improve next season after finishing 3-14 under first-year coach Kiki Lara.

Mark Shanahan can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]