New rules put in effect for NCAA basketball

Freshman forward Patrick Muldoon goes up for a shot during the Panthers' 88-49 loss to Indiana on Friday in Bloomington, Ind.

Before the start of the 2015-2016 NCAA men and women’s basketball seasons there were some new rules put into effect.

There were over 25 rule changes made for the men to increase the speed of play, reduce the number of stoppages and provide better balance between offense and defense according to the NCAA Men’s Basketball Rules Committee.

The men and women each had different rule changes, meaning that a change for the men does not mean that rule will be put into effect for the women and vice-versa.

One of the key changes for the men is that the officiating community to reduce physicality to create freedom of movement specifically in hand checking/bumping the ball handler, physical post play and rebounding, freedom of movement for players without the ball-cutters, a stationary screen is required and offense initiated contact with legal defenders.

Another change for the men is the shot clock is reduced from 35 seconds to 30 seconds. Also, the restricted area arc is expanded from three feet to four feet.

There were also some key changes regarding timeouts for the men. Each team will only get three 30-second timeouts instead of four and only two will carry over to the second half.

Also, a 30-second timeout called within 30 seconds of a media timeout, when there has been no stoppage in play, will become a media timeout. Coaches can only call timeouts during a dead ball situation.

The rule of the 5-second closely guarded count on a dribble has been eliminated.

Airborne shooter charge plays cannot score a basket. Arm bars are allowed in the post area when the offensive player has his back to the basket without the ball.

The 10-second backcourt count resets except when the defender causes the ball to go out of bounds. The offense retains possession on a held ball or a technical foul is called on the offensive team.

The women also saw a fair share in rule changes for the 2015-2016 season.

Some of the key rule changes include the teams will play four 10-minute quarters instead of 20-minute halves.

Teams will be awarded two free throws after the fifth team foul of each quarter; there will be no more one-and-ones. Fouls reset after each quarter. Overtime is considered an extension of the fourth quarter.

Each team will now have three 30-second timeouts and one 60-second timeout per game, down from four and one last year.

Media timeouts now occur at the first deadball or below the five-minute mark of each quarter. If a team calls a timeout before the media break for a quarter, the timeout becomes the media timeout break. There is one additional media timeout in the second half on the first called team timeout.

During the last 59.9 seconds of the game in the fourth quarter or overtime, when the team that has control of the ball is granted a timeout, the team will have the option to move the throw-in to the 28-foot line in the front court. If the team chooses to advance the ball by dribble or pass before the timeout, it will no longer have the option to advance the ball.

The 10-second rule change for the men is the same for the women.

Sean Hastings can be reached 581-2812 or [email protected]