Modern dating: Fraternity to analyze ‘Netflix and chill’

T'Nerra Butler, Multicultural Editor

As a way to start a conversation on modern day chivalry and whether it still exists, the men of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity will be presenting a forum.

“Netflix and Chill” is a forum targeted toward students as a way to provide an open discussion on whether chivalry exists at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday in Room 1205 of the Physical Sciences Building.

Jarrett Moore, the president of Omega Psi Phi, said he wants to see the female and male perspective of how a date should be conducted. He said the forum would bring up the social issues of dating and the generational change when it comes to pursuing a relationship.

Social media has made it harder for people to interact and have a regular conversation, Moore said.

He said instead of people going on dates, they have been going back and forth on the Internet and the next step is watching Netflix and hanging out.

Moore said the lack of personal engagement is what influenced the forum. He said relationships are not built through the Internet.

“Things like Snapchat and Instagram make people feel as though they are connected and they aren’t,” Moore said. “If they were to actually meet the person they wouldn’t know them, they would just have an idea of who they are.”

This forum is a part of the fraternity’s founder’s week, which Moore said is vital to Greek students. He said without the founders, the fraternity would not be able to work the way they do today. He said the week is based on the history of the fraternity.

Tuesday was founder’s day for fraternity.

Julian Robertson, the vice president of Omega Psi Phi, said the organization plans to talk about certain aspects of a date, like who picks up the tab and if people still care about dating etiquette in today’s generation.

He said the goal is to see how students go through the dating process.

Moore said he hopes to engage the audience and for them to voice their opinions about modern day chivalry.

“I think that social media is more important than what it needs to be, but we have to realize that this is our generation and we have to adapt to it,” Moore said.

Moore said years back people were able to go out in public and get to know the person before going to someone’s house. He said in this generation it is not out of the norm to meet someone for the first time and then they go to one another’s house.

“We’re trying to figure out, how we got from how our parents dated to what it’s like now,” Moore said.

Robertson said in modern times, people move quickly when it comes to dating, he said little-to-no effort is put into building a solid foundation.

“You should still be able to take somebody out and get to know them, and things move along from that than just coming over and watching TV,” Robertson said.

T’Nerra Butler can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].