Crafting coming to Charleston Carnegie Library

Lynnsey Veach, Staff Reporter

The Eastern and Charleston communities are invited to “Come, craft, and relax” at the Make and Take craft event at the Charleston Carnegie Public Library.

The library will be hosting the event 6 p.m. Tuesday.

According to the library’s website, “It’s Make and Take, Grown-up style! We will have supplies ready and you can craft at your own pace. Instructions will be with each craft.”

The library has hosted the Make and Take craft sessions for over 15 years, usually for children but with some additional activities offered for adults.

Seasonal, holiday-themed and quick crafts offered during the night will include pumpkins, turkeys and snowmen crafts.

The crafts that will be made at the Make and Take event can be used as decorations at home for the holidays or can be given as small gifts. Decorations will include holiday banners for Thanksgiving and refrigerator magnets relating to fall and winter holidays.

Joan Spencer, an adult services library associate at the Charleston Carnegie Public Library, said “I’ve been doing Make and Take with children for 15 years. I always do it one Saturday every month.”

Spencer said she hopes to see a good turnout at the event, with even grandparents attending so that they can learn some crafts to teach their grandchildren at home.

Copies of the instructions for all of the crafts of the night will be available for guests to take home with them, so they can complete the craft projects anytime they want.

“These kinds of crafts would be good to do while making dinner during the holiday season,” Spencer said.

Spencer said she encourages Eastern faculty and students to attend the Make and Take craft event on Tuesday since they are the ideal age group for the session.

In addition, Spencer said there will be a book sale held at the library from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Saturday Nov. 7. The proceeds from the book sale will go to support the programming of the Charleston Carnegie Public Library, including special events like Make and Take.

Lynnsey Veach can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]