Walk-on Kyle Callender beats the odds

Senior Kyle Callendar sends the ball up during the Panthers’ 2-1 loss to Northern Kentucky on Oct. 21 at Lakeside Field.

Maher Kawash, Staff Reporter

The odds of succeeding as a walk-on in any sport are unfavorable, but Kyle Callender has proven otherwise for the men’s soccer team in his final season.

Callender walked on to join the soccer team during his freshman year, and is now one of the most important guys on the team as the captain during his senior year.

“I came into EIU as a walk-on that wasn’t very highly recruited out of high school,” Callender said. “I sat the bench for most of my freshman year until my coach gave me an opportunity to start at the end of the season, and I have not looked back since.”

Callender has certainly made the most of his chances as he started 16 games as a junior and has followed this season by starting in all of the team’s games.

Callender has become a proven leader of the team after logging the second most minutes on the team as a junior, and is now an important part of the puzzle as team captain.

“Being captain of the team has taught me a lot about what it takes to truly be a good leader in life,” Callender said. “I’m extremely honored that my teammates saw something in me that deserved the title last spring.”

Eastern coach Kiki Lara also believes that Callender has been a vital part of the team’s success.

“Kyle understands what it takes to be an excellent teammate to those around him, and takes pride in representing the program as a student-athlete,” Lara said. “Guys that have played with him will have a shining example of how to treat others on the team, and care for the program.”

Callender has clearly taken a different path than others, but that seems to play an important role in his success.

“Ever since stepping on campus, I’ve felt like I have something to prove,” Callender said. “I’ve taken it one day at a time, and I’ve done everything I can to improve not only as a player but as a teammate as well.”

As a defenseman, Callender has not gotten many chances to score a goal in his career at Eastern, but he has proved to be an important part of the team’s defense, and locker room stability.

Callender has many favorite memories from his soccer career, but his favorite one happens to be in a game that Eastern did not even win.

“Our 1-1 tie in double overtime against Denver last season would have to be my favorite memory,” Callender said. “It may not have been a win but it was a really fun game, and a solid result against a very good team.”

Callender sustained plenty of success in high school as well, as he was a part of a team that went on to play in the Illinois High School Athletic Association 3A State Title game in his sophomore year.

“I got to play with some of my best friends, so it is a memory that will stay with me forever,” Callender said.

Family seems to play an important role in Callender’s life as well.

“My family has by far made the biggest impact on my life,” Callender said. “I’ve been looking up to my brother and sister since I was born, and my parents have been my biggest fans my entire life.”

Callender also happened to build a relationship with Lara before even became the Panthers head coach this year.

Callender was looking to play soccer at the University of Dayton, where Lara was an assistant coach, until the university told Callender they decided to go in a different direction.

“I was able to build a relationship with Coach Lara where he could see the type of person I was, and it has led to where we are now,” Callender said. “He has made a major impact on me, and has instilled a sense of commitment to improvement and culture in daily life for the team.”

Callender is one of four seniors on the team this year, and according to Lara, all of them have served as great examples for this young Panther squad.

Callender is joined by seniors Tony Meza, Nick Smith and Conor Bartuch, who was sidelined all year with a torn ACL.

“Those four seniors never took a day off, and that should leave behind a good example and understanding of how to show up every day regardless of the results,” Lara said.

Lara has clearly made a special impact on the team, and the players have been able to impact the coaching staff in the same way.

“Although our relationship is relatively new, we feel as though we have been coaching them for their entire career,” Lara said. “They will be missed by the staff and the players.”

Maher Kawash can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]