CAA to vote on addition of history class

Cassie Buchman, Administration Editor

The College on Academic Affairs will vote to add a new history course and vote to revise a music class at their meeting Thursday.

The history class is HIS 3950, History of U.S. Popular Culture, and the music class is MUS 4980 A, B, D: Workshop in Music I, II, III.

MUS 4980 is being revised to have an online and face-to-face component.

Marita Gronnvoll, the chair of the CAA, said more often than not, that is why these classes are being revised.

“I could imagine with music, there’s a reason that you’d want to have a hybrid, so that it’s not entirely online,” Gronnvoll said.

The students will have access to the lectures online, but a certain percentage of the class will also be face-to-face as well as discussions and conferences.

HIS 3950 will examine the history of popular culture from the 19th Century to the present.

The course will also look at different forms of popular culture, such as production and reception, but will mainly focus on the historical development of different media.

“They’re looking at things like the world’s fair, zoot suits, sitcoms,” Gronnvoll said. “They’re taking a historical view at different kinds of popular culture.”

When a class is proposed with popular culture in the title, it is important to make sure there is not a significant overlap between the new popular culture class and others.

To do this, they run the class by the department they think it overlaps with.

In this case, the communication studies department did not see a problem with the class so it will go forward to be voted on. The communication studies department is one of the academic areas that has classes that talk about an aspect of popular culture.

The Illinois Board of Higher Education Program Reviews for the B.A. in Africana studies, B.A. in art and B.F.A in art will also take place.

Executive actions will also be voted on with one in PHI 2590G Introduction to Ethics Honors and the other in RLS 1290G Introduction to Religious Studies Honors.

Both of the classes want to add a cultural diversity component to the course catalogue. Both classes have already been teaching elements of cultural diversity and they want to be recognized for it.

Another executive action will be to remove the writing intensive designation from MAR 4100, a special topics marketing course.

To be writing intensive, classes need to focus 30 to 35 percent of the class on writing, and students need to be able to revise at least one paper.

Cassie Buchman can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]