Volleyball partners with Colleges Against Cancer

Mackenzie Freund, City Editor

Eastern’s Women’s Volleyball team paired up with the Colleges Against Cancer to support cancer awareness after their game against Austin Peay Friday.

Sam Wolinski, the head coach of the women’s volleyball team, said there would be a luminary ceremony after their game to honor anyone touched by cancer.

“We wanted to extend it beyond just breast cancer awareness,” Wolinski said. “We have people on our team, and Coach Green and myself, both of our fathers have been battling cancer and it went beyond that for obvious reasons.”

Wolinski said many collegiate volleyball programs across the country will do many cancer awareness games throughout the month of October.

The Colleges Against Cancer, or CAC, is a service registered student organization that volunteers and supports programs for the American Cancer Society in efforts to fight cancer.

Wolinski said they were able to get in touch with someone from the CAC to put together the event for the weekend.

“We’re going to have an luminary ceremony after the game with a short speaker,” Wolinski said. “We’re going to take down the lights in Lantz and just have the opportunity for everybody to celebrate.”

Peay has been invited to participate in the ceremony, Wolinski said.

“The OVC is all about sportsmanship, so that’s why we wanted them to take part in it,” Wolinski said. “One of their player’s mom is struggling with cancer.”

Wolinski said they wanted to continue with the theme all weekend since it is Homecoming and they want to stress awareness.

“Just to bring some awareness to everybody and let everybody know that it’s a cause that we all know touches so many of us unfortunately in today’s day and age,” Wolinski said.

During their warm-ups and while they are sitting on the bench Friday night, the players will be wearing shirts given to them by the CAC.

There will also be a kids’ clinic available Saturday morning for anyone who would like to drop off their kids.

Wolinski said the clinic is free and will be run by the players.

“We tried to do some different activities and that’s why were doing a kids’ clinic on Saturday before the football game,” Wolinski said. “Its open to everybody and we’ve reached out to a lot of schools and churches in the area.”

Fans who come out for the weekend volleyball games will be able to make donations to the CAC, either in person or through the American Cancer Society’s website.

Wolinski said she believes the team has done things involving cancer awareness in the past, but she hopes this ceremony becomes an annual event.

Mackenzie Freund can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected]