Stevenson fire update: furniture being repaired

Mackenzie Freund, City Editor

The furniture pieces that were damaged during the fire in Stevenson Hall on Aug. 27 are in the process of being repaired.

The closet in one of the rooms of suite 5G on the 5th floor of Stevenson Hall is undergoing repairs before students can move back in. The walls have been repainted and the drawers have been taken out to be refinished.
Mackenzie Freund

The fire, caused by a student burning incense, began in one of the closets of suite 5G on the fifth floor, damaging a chest of drawers and a corner of the closet before setting off the sprinkler system, dousing the fire.

Mark Hudson, the director of housing and dining, said the drawers are in the process of being refinished.

“The room is not quite ready to be moved into yet, but it’s getting closer,” Hudson said. “That group of students that were living there are now living in another suite in the building.”

Hudson said the students are excited to move back into their room when the repairs are done.

The top shelf in the closet was replaced and re-painted and the drawers that were in the closet have been removed for the repairs.

Hudson said the Office of Student Standards would assess the student at fault and any additional charges associated with the work would be placed.

“You can’t really talk about the details of a student standards (hearing),” Hudson said. “When those things happen, the person who caused that to happen would be assessed for the charges associated with the work.”

Hudson said some of the charges include the overtime for building service worker’s that came in to clean up and the electricians that came to work on the fire alarm system to get it reset.

Hudson said if there was more significant damage caused by the fire that expulsion could have been a punishment for the student that caused it.

Eastern works with the fire department so when fires do occur there are no additional fee’s that need to be paid.

“If a student was maliciously tampering with the system and set it off there can be charges for that,” Hudson said. “That would be passed along to the person who was involved in that.”

Mackenzie Freund can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected]