Men’s golf continues to struggle

Bob Reynolds, Sports Editor

The Eastern men’s golf team has had a rough season so far in the fall part of their schedule.

It continued with an 11th place finish at the John Dallio DePaul Memorial at the par-72 Ruffled Feathers Golf Course in Lemont.

Alvaro Hernandez, on the other hand, continues his hot stretch of rounds in the 70s. The freshman shot a 7-over, 79 in the first round and came back with a 3-over, 75 in the second round.

Hernandez shot a 10-over, 82 in the third round and finished 20-over-par for the tournament.

Teammate and fellow freshman Charlie Adare finished 12 strokes behind Hernandez, shooting 32-over-par for the tournament.

Adare shot a 6-over, 78 in the final round of the tournament.

As a team, the Panthers shot 137-over-par for the tournament and finished with a team score of 1,001.

Rounding out the other three golfers for the Panthers were juniors Daniel and Ryan Hughes and freshman Will Drerup.

Daniel shot 33-over-par for the tournament, while his brother Ryan shot 66-over-par. Drerup finished 52-over-par for the tournament.

The Panthers finished just two strikes behind last-place Chicago State, who finished with a team score of 1,003.

Host DePaul won the team title shooting 30-over-par as a team. The University of Missouri-St. Louis finished 22 strokes behind DePaul after shooting a 916 as a team.

Division III Lewis University finished 63 strokes over par as it shot a 927 finishing in third place.

Florida Golf Coast finished 68 strokes over par and finished in fourth place. Rounding out the top five teams was the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay, finishing 70 strokes over par for the day.

DePaul sophomore Freddy Thomas won the individual title after shooting a 1-under-par for the tournament.

Thomas shot two rounds of an even-par, 72 and a round of 1-under, 71. University of New Orleans junior Erik Dege finished in second place as an individual for the tournament.

Dege shot 5-over-par for the tournament. He shot a 2-over, 74 in the first round. Dege shot a 5-over, 77 in the second round and a 2-under, 70 in the third round, which was low-score of the tournament.

Thomas’s teammate James Lelliott finished seven-over-par for the tournament as he shot a 223. He tied Dege for the lowest round of the tournament at 70. Lelliott finished with a 75 and a 78 in the final two rounds.

The Eastern men’s golf team will have one more fall tournament in two weeks at the Austin Peay Fall Intercollegiate at The Links at Novadell Golf Course.

Bob Reynolds can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]