NPHC takes questions on Twitter for hazing prevention

Chris Picazo, Opinions Editor

The National-Panhellenic Council hosted a Twitter question-and-answer session for students Wednesday as a part of National Hazing Prevention Week.

The social media outlet was being used to reach a larger audience to spread awareness for hazing prevention on campus.

Caitlyn East, graduate advisor for the National Pan-Hellenic Council, said an online forum would allow more people to partake in the conversation regarding hazing prevention.

“The group decided it would do the Q & A online instead of in person because those who would may not have been able to attend the session in person were still able to participate in the conversation,” East said.  “They only have so many characters or words with which to ask questions and formulate responses also encourages participants to be thoughtful and intentional in the conversation. “

East also said that using social media would allow taking the conversation of hazing prevention to other areas besides the Eastern campus.

“The conversation is relevant to more than just the students on our campus, so utilizing social media properly during events like these is very important,” East said.

East said that the Twitter question-and-answer would give students and anyone else who participates to gain a better understanding of hazing prevention.

It will explain the steps that organizations have taken to get rid of hazing.

Jacob Jevitz, vice president of the Interfraternity Council, said that having the online session would be beneficial by allowing for more people to ask questions.

“Having the discussion online is beneficial because it gives everyone the chance to answer any questions or rule out myths of hazing,” Jevitz said. “By having this online it allows for people to ask questions without putting themselves out there like a live q-and-a. It allows for anonymous questions as well which can also be beneficial.”

Junior English major Stephen Kowalski said that is important for groups to reach out on social media to reach an audience that they might not be able to reach with an in-person event.

“I think it’s very important because especially today everyone is on social media,” Kowalski said. “So if you really want to get the word out there, using social media is the best way to do it.”

Jevitz said that a takeaway message from this event is to properly inform students that hazing is a national issue.

“It shows that as a Greek community we are aware of the problem and trying to help come to a solution,” Jevitz said. “By answering questions many have it can also be helpful to those interested in joining Greek life because those who are worried about hazing can have reassurance of our campus’s stance against it.”

East said that she wanted the overall takeaway message of the question-and-answer session to be for individuals to have a greater understanding of hazing prevention.

“A greater understanding of hazing practices and what steps many organizations have taken to eliminate it from their practices,” East said.  “My students treat each other with respect and support one another.  Hazing is not congruent with that, so that’s important for anyone to know. “

Chriz Picazo can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]