Volleyball team wins second straight match

Sean Hastings, Assistant Sports Editor

The Eastern volleyball team grabbed its second straight win Saturday as it defeated Jacksonville State in straight sets, 3-0.

The Panthers won the first set against the Gamecocks 25-15. Eastern only trailed once in the set, and that was after the first point of the game on. From then on Eastern never trailed.

Sophomore Maria Brown led the way in kills for the Panthers earning six kills in the fist set. Freshman Abby Knight was right behind her with four.

Senior Marah Bradbury led both sides with nine assists and freshman Anne Hughes led with seven digs.

The Panthers had to play comeback in the second set when the trailed early on. Eastern went on a scoring run to grab the lead and held the lead the rest of the way winning 25-19.

Senior Stephanie Wallace was able to set the all-time digs record for the Panthers as she only needed four coming into the match.

Hueston and Brown continued to lead the way in kills for the Panthers combining for 15.

The Panthers started the third set jumping out to a quick 6-3 lead but that would be the start of a small, and brief comeback by Jacksonville State.

Jacksonville State grabbed a 8-7 lead but the Panthers got right back in front and stayed in front the rest of the way.

Eastern earned a lot of points of long rallies and finishing them with kills.

The Panthers won the third set 25-19 off a kill by Hueston.

Sean Hastings can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].