RHA ready for ROC fest

Mariah Scott, Staff Reporter

The Residents On Campus fest was one of the main events talked about at the Residence Hall Association meeting Thursday in Andrews Hall Basement.

Rachael Johnson, junior and President of RHA, gave out information about the week long event called Resident On Campus Fest, also known as ROC Fest, from Sept. 20th through Oct. 2nd.

The halls that participate in the daily events have chances to receive points.

The points are tallied up, and the winning hall receives the ROC Fest trophy, which is a giant guitar that the hall keeps until the next ROC Fest.

This years theme will be 90’s throwback with events and prizes that follow the theme.

The executive board said that this year they wanted to bring something new to campus and have a spring event as well.

“We’re really excited to be putting on a spring event,” Johnson said. “It hasn’t been done before and I wanted to make sure it is fulfilled.”

Morgan Blackmore, the National and Illinois Communications Coordinator, talked about the Great Lake Affiliate of College and University Residence Halls conference, also known as GLACURH, that is Nov. 20th through the 22nd.

Blackmore said a delegation from Eastern will be going, and information will be given out at their next meeting.

The meeting began with an introduction to the new executive board and advisor for this year, followed behind recruiting two new members to fill the spots for Vice President and Secretary.

Johnson said after the meeting there were many interested candidates that were willing to be apart of the board.

Johnson said nominations for the open positions will be Sept. 17th and Sept. 24th. Elections will take place

Liz Wenger, Area director Lincoln, Stevenson, and Douglas halls, said it is her first year as one of the advisors of RHA at Eastern.

Wenger said she is looking forward to getting the RHA reps involved with their living community by connecting them with the things RHA does.

Wenger said she wants to help the board serve as a resource for the RHA reps and for their hall councils.

“Ultimately our goal is to make sure that were providing a positive living experience for all students on campus,” said Wegner.

Wenger said RHA is about engaging the students that live on campus and letting them have a voice for themselves and others.

Towards the end of the meeting, each hall representative had the chance to share what planned events or news from their hall.

Mariah Scott can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].