Men’s soccer splits last weekends games

Mark Shanahan, Sports Reporter

Men’s soccer evened up its record at 2-2 after splitting this weekend’s games against Pittsburg and Robert Morris on the road.

Pittsburg

On Friday night Pittsburg shut out the Panthers 2-0. Pitt scored in each half and improved its record to 2-0-1 after the victory. Eastern got just four shots off opposed to Pitt’s 12.

The first goal was scored at the 38:12 mark, when sophomore Matt Bischoff, crossed the ball to sophomore Jack Dickens who got it past the charging goalkeeper, Mike Novotny.

Pitt added its second goal at the 74:24 mark, when freshman Tobias Heyman, split two Eastern defenders and shot the ball to the lower left corner of the net past Novotny.

Senior goalkeeper Dan Lynd made three saves for Pittsburg as he earned the shutout. Novotny finished with two saves for Eastern. Daymon Blackport, Jordan Moore and Miguel Carillo had the three shots on goal for Eastern.

Robert Morris

Eastern evened its record on Sunday with an overtime win against Robert Morris. Strong goalkeeping by Novotny and goals from sophomore Tyler Oliver and senior Tony Meza helped them get the victory.

Robert Morris had three scoring chances early on in the game but Novotny made three good saves to keep Eastern in it. Novotny ended up making seven saves in the game. Robert Morris held the shots on goal advantage 8-4.

Eastern got on the scoreboard first as Meza stopped a clearing attempt by Robert Morris and hit a shot from 18 yards out just inside the left post at the 37:02 mark. This was his first goal of the season.

Robert Morris tied it up right after halftime at the 55:27 mark; Lucas Puntillo scored from 40 yards out. They had a shot to win the game in the final minute but the shot inside the goal box was blocked by a defender and went out of bounds.

The game-winner was scored in the first overtime as sophomore Justin Oliver connected with his brother Tyler for the winner at the 97:51 mark; The goal was scored just inside the right post.

Eastern had 25 fouls in the game compared to nine fouls for Robert Morris. They were also down in the shot total 9-16. With Sunday’s win, Eastern is now just one win away from matching its win total from last year.

Eastern will host Wright State at 1pm Saturday at Lakeside Field for the home opener.

Mark Shanahan can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]