Hello Dali engages, entertains audience

Maggie Boyle

Junior Matthew Wilkie, graduate Suzanne Foehr, sophomore Frank Monier, junior Sarah Grace Taylor, and Senior Austin Scavone perform the improv game ’freeze’ during Thusday night’s improve show, “Hello Dahli”.

Liz Gomez, Staff Reporter

As the audience members filed into Coleman lecture hall to see Hello Dali’s first performance of the season, every audience member was greeted by one of the Hello Dali members.

Matthew Wilkie, a member of Hello Dali and a junior Spanish education major at Eastern, said he was excited for the performance and hoped to make the audience laugh.

The Hello Dali group introduced themselves before the beginning of the show, and the audience learned that every member had their own unique nickname.

Suzanne Foehr, a graduate student at Eastern, said her nickname was “Pink Lemonade.”

“The nicknames are based off of the workshops we have before auditions and what they did in the workshops,” Foehr said.

Foehr’s specific nickname came from when she practiced a game called “B**** Please” where she argued that Pink Lemonade was the best-flavored jellybean. Hello Dali started off the night with a game called “Freeze.”

The game consisted of two Hello Dali members getting a suggestion from the audience for a topic of the scene. From there, every other member would tap in and change the scene to something completely different. For example, one scene started out as a member with his hands glued to the floor and the other person trying to help him get up, then the scene was frozen and changed to a member on the floor giving birth while the other member helped with the process.

As the group moved on from game to game, the audience interaction became stronger.

“Who’s Line Is It Anyway” was the most popular game of the night based on the audience’s laughter and interesting suggestions. It was also the favorite game of Victoria Suding, a senior graphic design major.

Suding said the element of audience interaction was the best part of “Who’s Line Is It Anyway” and she said the performance overall was really fun and very thought provoking.

Another game that had a lot of audience interaction was “Deleted Scenes.” The game included all of the members of Hello Dali and the audiences’ suggestions of movie titles to get the game going.

The game is that the audience suggests any movie, and the group members have to come up with comedic deleted scenes that would be apart of those movies.

Some suggestions from the audience included nouns such as Voldemort, John Cena, bathtubs, Breakfast Club and bananas. Another popular game was “Professor Know-It-All” which had three of the Hello Dali members linked together to form the professor know-it-all.

Audience interaction was used once again to ask the professor about any of life’s questions. Maya Lee, a freshman psychology major, asked, “Why doesn’t my family love me?” Sadly, she didn’t get an exact answer.

Hello Dali closed the night with “Who Tossed the Salad,” which was their version of World’s Worst. Then they said their goodbyes. According to Suzanne Foehr, the night was a better turnout than expected.

Liz Gomez can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]