Career services to host resume session

Elias Albert, Staff Reporter

Students at Eastern will have the opportunity to receive professional assistance on their career profiles Sept. 16.

A 30-minute resume session will take place in the Career Services section of the Human Services building on campus.

Students are encouraged to call the Career Services office and reserve a 30-minute appointment.

The appointments will be available between 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. during the scheduled day.

Allison Frees-Williams, assistant director of career services and employee relations, explained what students should expect when attending a resume-adjusting appointment.

“We offer resume help all throughout the year,” Frees-Williams said. “This is just a quicker version of what they would normally get.”

Frees-Williams said opportunities, such as this one, should be considered by students aspiring to build a name and earn a position in their respective career field.

“It’s extremely important,” she said. “It’s also been proven, just through data that has been collected, that students who attend these kind of events, participated in networking and have properly constructed resumes, tend to have a better chance when it comes to getting hired.”

Frees-Williams recommends students bring their resume information with them to appointments and any other events offered by the program.

30-Minute Resumes will not be the only thing Career Services will offer to assist students in the near future.

“September is usually busy for us, because students are just getting back and employers know that,” Frees-Williams said. “Stuff like internships usually become available during the first semester, so it’s an important time.”

Career Services held Career Boot Camp last week and have a number of additional chances for students to gain some professional help.

“Boot camp is where we bring in alumni and let them talk to students about what they do in their profession,” Frees-Williams said.

She said students may also find the Resume Review Blitz to be very useful.

“It is during our career week,” Frees-Williams said. “You don’t need to have an appointment. You can just bring your resume in and have it looked at. It’s usually between 10-15 minutes for an appointment.”

Resume Review Blitz will be held on Sept. 24 and 28 at the Career Services office.

There are also events like Dress for Success and the career fair.

Dress for Success gives students a chance to learn about the way employers want potential employees to present themselves during interviews and while working.

This event will take place on Sept. 16 at 6 p.m. in the Career Services office.

Interested participants must make a reservation.

The career fair offers students some time for networking and opportunities to meet available employers.

“During the career fair, we bring in different employers from mostly throughout the Midwest,” Frees-Williams said. “They’re mainly recruiters and hiring managers who come meet potential candidates for internships and jobs.”

The career fair will take place on Sept. 30, from 12-4 p.m., at the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union Grand Ballroom.

It is open to all students who wish to attend and there is no need to make an appointment.

Frees-Williams said students should prepare themselves by bringing any resumes and sample portfolios that they may have.

She said Career Services is open to any student who wishes to develop their job outlook.

“We’re open throughout the year,” Frees-Williams said. “We not only help students with resumes, cover letters and bringing employers to campus, but we also do things like holding mock interviews and major-specialized information sessions.”

Elias Albert can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]