Softball team salvages one game in series against SEMO

Amber Toenyes, a sophomore infielder, catches the ball from another infielder, getting the runner from Tennessee State out Saturday at Williams Stadium.

Mackenzie Frenud

Mackenzie Frenud

Mackenzie Frenud

Sean Hastings, Staff Reporter

After dropping both games of a doubleheader on Saturday against Southeast Missouri, the Eastern softball team came out on top in Sunday’s game by a score of 7-4.

The Panthers rallied late scoring all seven of their runs in the final three innings.

Senior Bailey O’Dell believes the team hit better on Sunday compared to Saturday.

“(Sunday), we hit a lot better,” O’Dell said. “(Saturday), we struggled off their pitcher, and today we handled her better as the game went on.”

The Redhawks got on the board first in the second inning off of a home run by senior Lindsey Patterson.

The Panthers’ scoring was started by freshman Andrea Roberts. Roberts singled on a bunt, and sophomore Hannah Rachor came in to score.

O’Dell singled on a bunt as well and brought in junior April Markowski.

The final run of the fifth inning was off a single by Hannah Cole that scored Roberts to give the Panthers a 3-1 lead.

The Redhawks got one run back in the bottom of the fifth off a single by Patterson.

Cole got another RBI in the sixth inning and O’Dell added two more runs. O’Dell doubled and drove in junior Katie Watson and Rachor.

Rachor drove in the final run in the seventh inning hitting a sac fly driving in freshman Taylor Monahan.

Freshman Jessica Wireman was on the mound for the Panthers and got the win. Wireman went all seven innings and gave up four runs on 10 hits. She also had five strikeouts.

O’Dell said getting that win was big because of how close the race is to get into the conference tournament.

“We may not have been given the opportunity to play in the conference tournament if we lost today,” O’Dell said. “It gets us that much closer to making the tournament where it really matters.”

The Panthers were shut out 6-0 in the first game on Saturday.

Wireman was on the mound for the first game Saturday as well but took the loss giving up six runs on nine hits.

The Panthers lost game two on Saturday, 9-4.

The Redhawks got on the board right away in the first inning scoring three runs off freshman pitcher Michelle Rogers.

Southeast Missouri scored their first six runs off solo home runs. Senior Kayla Fortner, junior Savannah Carpenter, and Patterson hit back-to-back-to-back home runs in the first inning.

Carpenter hit another home run in the third inning.

The Panthers’ offense was led by freshman Tori Johnson who went 2-for-3 in the game. Johnson also scored on a single by sophomore Ashlynne Paul.

Markowski, sophomore Amber Toenyes, Paul, and Watson drove in the four Panther runs.

The Panthers scored three runs in the fifth inning. Paul drove in Johnson on a single and Markowski followed up a few batters later driving in Paul. Toenyes drove in Watson on a sac fly to right field.

Watson added one more run on a home run in the seventh.

The Panthers now have a 12-10 record in the Ohio Valley Conference and are in sixth place in the OVC standings.   

Sean Hastings can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]