Art, food vendors to contribute at Celebration

Olivia S. Diggs | File Photo

Members of the Mexican Folkloric Company of Chicago perform native dances on April 26, 2014 during the Celebration of the Arts.

Stephanie White, Entertainment Editor

Eastern’s Celebration Festival will have returning vendors along with new ones this upcoming weekend.

Dan Crews, the director of patron services, said the vendor spots have been all sold out and some vendors are on a waiting list for a just in case situation.

Outside of the food stands and information booth, most of the vendors will have an art focus, selling their items during the festival.

“Most of the vendors will be coming from different cities in Illinois, but we do have a few out-of-state ones as well,” Crews said.

Sellers will be coming from Montana, Wisconsin, Indiana and Ohio.

Many of the vendors are community members themselves. Jeff Boshart, an art professor at Eastern, will be selling his ceramics, sculpture and photographs at the festival.

Boshart said he will be selling art pieces he has been working on specifically for the festival, along with his photographs.

He said is excited to be a part of a Eastern tradition that not only students enjoy but community members and families as well.

“Being a part of an Eastern tradition is something I look forward to,” he said.  “Plus I get to sell my artwork to people and families enjoying the event.  I like that I can be a part of a tradition while doing something I love and adding to the enjoyment people would hopefully experience during the festival.”

Amanda Hill and Sandra Simpson, Charleston community members, will be selling wreaths during the festival.

Hill said wreaths are not just for Christmas but can be made for all year round.

“Wreaths are a great thing to have all year round because they are beautiful and the ones we are selling are going to be handmade,” she said.

Both Simpson and she have handmade the wreaths themselves, along with help from others.

Crews said this year should be an exciting for students, faculty and families who come because of all the arts and crafts that are being sold.

“This festival does not only benefit Eastern but the community as well,” he said. “People get to experience what people are capable of doing and what can really be hand made.”

The festival will start Friday at 11:30 a.m. to 6 p.m.; Saturday 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Sunday 10:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Stephanie White can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].