Couture models to host ‘bare’ subject matter

Roberto Hodge, Multicultural Editor

In an effort to shed light on the issue of female and male body image, Couture Models’ will “Dare to go Bare” at 4 p.m. Wednesday at the Doudna steps.

DeVonte Dixon, the president of Couture Models’, said the discussion will focus on the image of beauty standards when it comes to women having to put makeup on or wear hair extensions just to feel beautiful.

“Why? What’s wrong with your natural hair? What’s wrong with your natural beauty?” Dixon said.

Dixon said the group hopes to encourage everyone to go natural without makeup or hair extensions to show that in their natural state they are beautiful.

“Own up to natural beauty,” Dixon said.

Many other organizations have been called on to assist with the event such as the Divine Nine, Latin American Student Organization and Rhythm & X-tacy.

Each of the organizations can help by supporting the overall message of loving one who is within their natural skin and beauty, Dixon said.

“They beat their face up (with makeup) and they call it beauty—but why?” Dixon said.

Dixon said even males have been subjected to the issue of body image by now wearing makeup, having facial hair extensions and the increase in male care products.

“You should look like this, you should have a six pack,” Dixon said.

However, he feels some men are also not helping to end the issue, but perpetuating it by wanting their girlfriends to wear lots of makeup and have hair extensions.

He said they also perpetuate the problem by trying to find a woman who tries to have their image resemble that of celebrity women.

“We’ll never look like that—they don’t even look like that, it’s important to be yourself,” Dixon said.

Dixon said the discussion is important to have because of how social media and magazines are with airbrushing and glamorizing others, and shedding light on the topic should build confidence and self-esteem.

Roberto Hodge can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]