Panthers prepare for regular season finales

Cody Delmendo, Staff Reporter

Eastern men’s tennis is back in action this weekend as they host their last two regular season matches against Morehead State and Eastern Kentucky.

The Panthers are 1-1 at the Darling Courts this season with a loss to conference leaders Austin Peay and a win over Murray State during spring break.

Eastern overall comes in with a 3-14 record, which includes four-straight losses against SIU-Edwardsville, Belmont, Tennessee Tech and Jacksonville State.

The current streak hasn’t helped their conference record, which sits at 2-5 and almost at the bottom of the conference standings. Eastern is only ahead of Murray State and Tennessee State.

“We have been in every match. We just haven’t closed out matches.  When you have a young team, it is always the toughest thing to do is learning how to close out a college match,” Eastern coach Eric Stark said.

Eastern needs to win their last two matches to qualify for the Ohio Valley Conference Tournament.

“We are just focused to go out there and play each match hard, focusing on the start and closing out doubles,” Stark said.

The Panthers have struggled all year in doubles with a record of 8-32 overall. The best duo Eastern has been able to show this season is junior Robert Skolik and freshman Preston Touliatos.

The No. 1 doubles partners have a 5-9 record in doubles matches, which is the best on the team.

The Panthers haven’t won the doubles point since they defeated Murray State March 21. Since that victory Eastern has been shutout swept in doubles twice, against Belmont and Tennessee Tech.

Morehead State has struggled of late as well sporting a 5-14 record overall with a 3-4 conference record.

The Eagles come in with three straight losses behind them, which included No. 60 Alabama and conference opponent Eastern Kentucky.

“Morehead is always a battle, there will be a lot of energy and it will be important to get off to a good start in doubles,” Stark said.

The Eagles have played a tough schedule with three top 100 teams in the nation this season.

Along with Alabama, Louisville and Purdue, a team the Panthers battled in their first match of the year, Morehead State has seen their tough times but will still qualify for the OVC Tournament.

A day after the Panthers battle the Eagles, Eastern will look to upset Eastern Kentucky, which sits at 14-7 on the season and 6-1 in conference.

Their conference record is good enough for second place behind Austin Peay.

“Eastern Kentucky is a great indoor team and they are strong at the bottom of their lineup,” Stark said.

The Colonels strong suit maybe the way they perform in singles matches with a 106-84 overall record for their team. Eastern Kentucky has double-digit victories in each of its six singles matches.

They are also respectable in doubles with a 39-36 record. While their No. 1 singles matches are 2-11, their No. 2 and No. 3 doubles spots combine 23-11 record.

“This is Division I, nobody gives you a match, when you have opponents down you have to put them down for good, a down opponent is a dangerous opponent, but we’ll learn,”

The Panthers will look to put down the Eagles and Colonels at 1 p.m.

Cody Delmendo can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]