Exhibition showcases graduate art

Cayla Maurer, Verge Editor

Students in the Master of Arts program in Art will showcase artwork from April 4 – 26 in the Tarble Arts Center.

Student’s showcasing their artwork are: Douglas Angulo, Amanda Boyd, Annie Cunningham, Jamie Lovell, Ryan Paluczak, Tom Pekovitch, Rindy Ricketts, Angela Rogers, and Daniel Rohr.

During the week of March 30, the students have the whole week to install their artwork in the Tarble Arts Center with everything to be completed by Friday.

Students started working on their pieces in August of 2014, but changed their focus or found different inspiration along the way.

Daniel Rohr, a graduate student in the M.A. program, works primarily with sculpture, using wood and metal fabrication within his work.

Rohr will be showing nine pieces that center around the ideas of self-reflection and not feeling good enough or important enough.

One of Rohr’s pieces is interactive where people can smash a light bulb.

Rohr said one of the most difficult parts of the process is trying to break away from what he did in the past to create something new.

“It’s like feeling around in the dark until something makes sense, but it pays off in the end,” Rohr said.

Jamie Lovell, a graduate student in the M.A. program, came into the program as a painter, but now does mostly sculpture work through metal work, paint and knitting.

Lovell will also be showing nine pieces that deals with human struggles that everyone can relate to.

Lovell said some of the most rewarding aspects of her work are the challenges from her committee. Each student picks three committee members to work with throughout the year.

“I purposely picked a really challenging committee that is going to push me and ask me really hard questions and force me to drastically change what I am doing,” Lovell said.

Rindy Ricketts, a graduate student in the M.A. program, came into the program as a 2D artist working on paintings and drawings, but started working with sculptures as well.

Ricketts will be showing eight drawings and three sculptures that focus on age, change and how a building’s deterioration can relate to our own personal impermanence in the world.

Ricketts likes to use different mediums for her artwork such as horse hair, table salt and Elmer’s glue. There will be a full list of products used in her work at the show.

Ricketts said the best thing about the process is working alongside other students in the program and sharing in the experience.

“You can go to somebody and say I’m struggling and they are there to help you,” Ricketts said. “We all get along and have great camaraderie.”

Rohr and Lovell both said that being challenged by their committee was the best part of the process because even though it was hard to deal with the criticisms and questions, there artwork was better because of it.

“You have your committee putting pressure on you and it’s hard and kind of scary; you get really down on yourself for making art that isn’t effective,” Rohr said. “But it forces you to learn how to make effective art.”

Lovell encourages everyone to come see the exhibition because there is something for everyone.

“Everybody has such drastically different art that it’s going to suit any style or taste,” Lovell said. “You’ll also be exposed to something you don’t understand which is fun to be challenged.”

Cayla Maurer can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].