Panthers swept by Golden Eagles

Cody Delmendo, Staff Reporter

Eastern men’s tennis was swept for the fourth time this season Wednesday at Tennessee Tech.

The team now sits at 3-13 on the season, which includes a 2-4 record in Ohio Valley Conference play. Eastern still needs two more wins to make the OVC Tournament, which starts April 17.

The Panthers lost the all important doubles point in very close matches and were not able to help themselves in singles matches, losing in all six spots.

Junior Rui Silva and senior David Constantinescu earned the lone doubles victory for Eastern, as they defeated the Golden Eagles No. 2 duo Eduardo Mena and Alvaro Cintas 8-7.

Eastern lost the No. 1 and No. 3 doubles matches, which secured the point for Tennessee Tech.

Panthers No. 1 duo of junior Robert Skolik and freshman Preston Touliatos took the loss to Golden Eagles No. 1 duo of Alex Arovin and Alberto Esteban 8-6 and the No. 3 match between Reiman twins, Grant and Trent and Tennessee Tech duo Artem Tarasov and Jorge Alfonso lost 8-7 in their match.

Skolik was the only Panther to win the first set in the singles matches for Eastern. After losing the second set, the match ended.

From then on the Panthers could not win the first set. In the No 2. singles match, Mena defeated Touliatos 6-4, 7-5, Esteban defeated senior David Constantinescu 7-6, 6-2 in the No. 3 match.

The last three matches secured the match for the Golden Eagles. In the No. 4 singles match, Alvaro Cintas defeated Rui Silva 6-4, 6-1, Carlos Tajes defeated Trent Reiman 6-2, 6-0 and Alfonzo defeated Grant Reiman 6-1, 6-2.

The Panthers have three matches left in the season at Jacksonville State and will host their final two matches at the Darling Courts against Morehead State and Eastern Kentucky.

Eastern looks to snap its losing streak against Jacksonville State Saturday at 11 a.m. at the JSU Courts.

Cody Delmendo can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].