Hunger Action Team displays severity of community hunger

Camelia Nicholson, Staff Reporter

The Hunger Action Team hosted an event in the Library Quad, exposing students to the truth about poverty hunger in the Charleston community Wednesday.

Many students came and supported the issue by participating in an activity that called for students to make plates, which introduced their own hunger awareness public service announcement.

Kendra Moultrie, the poverty food pantry coordinator, said she saw the event as an eye-opener to the student body.

Moultrie said once thought of the Hunger Action Team as only a requirement.

She originally had to volunteer through mandated hours; now it has become a passion for her. Hunger awareness not only became a grade for class, but a real life passion for those less fortunate.

“People don’t care to know what you know, unless they care,” she said. “Just knowing these people and being involved, being able to help them makes me feel better.”

Moultrie said she plans to further the team with fundraisers outside of its “Hot Dogs in the Quad” event, which happens on Thursdays.  She said the profits will help raise money to start food pantries in other counties. This will help pantries provide plenty of food to help take care of people who are not able to put food on their tables themselves.

Samantha Sarrich, a graduate assistant for the student community service, is not a part of the Hunger Action Team but said she found herself helping run the event because of the impact it can have.

Sarrich said her drive to expand in the poverty hunger aspect of the community is personal and she has seen firsthand the difference it has made.

“I don’t think of myself as a role model, just another student that works hard to raise awareness,” Sarrich said. “It’s nice to see students walk through the quad and just stop and read.”

Moultrie said in her time at Eastern she will never forget the most rewarding moment of helping someone for the greater good and it is all because of her work she has done with the Hunger Action Team.

She said it is not only something that benefits the hungry in the society, but brings the students and the Charleston community together for a great cause.

Camelia Nicholson can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].