Eastern volunteers to mentor Charleston elementary students

Alex Seidler, Staff Reporter

The Mark Twain Mentoring program will be mentoring elementary students by helping out during recess and lunchtime while exposing them to diversity.

Rachel Fisher, the student community service coordinator, said the goals of the program are to offer assistance to Mark Twain students while allowing Eastern students and local youth to interact in the school setting.

She said volunteers work directly with the teachers and children at the school. She said they help with story time and craft time in the classroom and lunch.

“Overall, it is such a fun experience and it is amazing to see how quickly the Mark Twain students learn the names of the EIU students and really make connections,” she said.

Fisher said the program has been going on for two semesters and it is now starting to take hold. She said one goal they have is to expand the Mark Twain program to two days a week starting next fall.

“This program really is a great opportunity for both schools,” she said. “The principal and I were discussing the value of helping local youth interact with a variety of people and realized that weekly trips with semester leaders from EIU would be a great fit.”

Fisher said volunteers expose students to diversity by sharing their stories with them.

“Diversity is a term that encompasses so much and that is our hope here,” she said. “Our volunteers come from a variety of backgrounds and experiences and to have each make a connection at the school is fantastic.”

Fisher said the group has five volunteers and are always looking for more. She said volunteers can expect to have a great time and meet new people.

“Come with flexibility as the needs of the day change each day,” she said. “Come ready to meet kids and have fun.”

The volunteer dates are from 10 a.m. to noon on Fridays.

Alex Seidler can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].