AIS displays different countries with singing and dancing

T'Nerra Butler, Staff Reporter

The Association of International Students will be showcasing a variety of cultures in the “Sounds of

Sunrose Maskey, a freshman psychology major performs a Napali dance to Shakira's "Waka Waka" song evening for Sounds of the World on October 14,2014.
Roberto Hodge
Sunrose Maskey, a freshman psychology major performs a Napali dance to Shakira’s “Waka Waka” song evening for Sounds of the World on October 14,2014.

the World” at 7 p.m. Friday in the Grand Ballroom of the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union.

Shifa Shamim, the president of the association, said international students will once again come together to sing and dance to express their culture.

Shamim said many people requested for “Sounds of the World” to be brought during the spring, so the association planned the event for a second spin this academic year.

“Food and drinks will be served at each table now because food seems to always run out,” Shamim said. “People don’t have to stand in line; it’s really convenient rather than standing.”

Shamim said this event brings diversity to Eastern because not many organizations bring attention to differences in other countries.

She said activities and games would be played between performances.

“We have eight to nine performances, and some performers will be from Korea, India and Nepal,” Shamim said.

David Constantinescu, the vice president of the association, said this event makes Eastern aware of other peoples’ cultures.

“Because we have such a small group of international students, it can be overwhelming when everyone comes in,” Constantinescu said. “There can be a culture shock coming to America; we organize these events to bring everyone together, and we’re spreading every country all together with these activities.”

Shamim said this is the first time “Sounds of the World” is occurring in the Grand Ballroom.

“We were supposed to have the event before spring break, but we didn’t schedule it, and luckily got the Grand Ballroom.”

Shamim said the doors would close exactly at 7 p.m. because in the past, people have snuck into the event.

“If you want to get your tickets, get them beforehand because this time we are going to be really strict so people cannot sneak into the Ballroom,” Shamim said.

Tickets can be bought for $2 in advance at the Office of International Students and Scholars and $3 at the door. Tickets and an AIS shirt can be bought for $5 throughout the week.

T’Nerra Butler can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].